Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stumped:embroidered blocks from MIL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stumped-embroidered-blocks-mil-t111830.html)

Kcmomto2 03-29-2011 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Although I am a relative novice to quilting, you know how you have a million ideas running through your head at the same time? (I'm sure it's not just me...) I'm taking my first quilt class starting next week, but accepted a dozen of these embroidered quilt blocks from my mother-in-law a few years ago. She's still with us, and I'd like to do something with them while she can see the results. So I need to get on it. The problem is that there are too many possibilities. I could just use sashing strips and a border, or I could use smaller pieced or solid blocks to set at the intersections along with sashing, or...I've never seen examples of these kinds of blocks used in a finished quilt except for floral bouquets just all sewn together right next to each other with no additional fabric used for contrast or enhancement. Any suggestions?? Resources for me to go look at?

embroidered wheat circles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]177161[/ATTACH]

Vicki W 03-29-2011 05:36 PM

The blue dotted lines were intended to be your quilting lines when you get that far. I might add a simple block to compliment the embrodiered blocks and then a border.

QuiltnNan 03-29-2011 05:53 PM

I would definitely separate with sashing. lovely embroidering.

moonwork42029 03-29-2011 06:07 PM

I could see some really cute and homey beige with teeny white dots or flowers as the sashing. Maybe the darker brown as corner points or the binding.

These look lovely and I hope she gets to see them finished also.

roseOfsharon 03-29-2011 06:23 PM

I'm not sure if you can add fabric to the block, but you could finish it off by embroidering the lined markings with another color of embroidery thread, maybe the brown used in the wheat. And then make some quilt blocks to coordinate. :)

Very pretty blocks they are .

jemma 03-29-2011 07:18 PM

moonwork has the idea--?are all the blocks the same?same theme---looks autumy[ok so thats not a word-but you get the drift]i would not add any embroidery let them stand in their own beauty--i to think they could be quilting lines---take a couple to the quilt lesson you dont have to do what they advise but they will also be full of idears

Kcmomto2 03-30-2011 08:40 AM

Thank you. MIL did all the embroidery work, and yes, they are all twelve the same. As much as I have a hard time choosing what to do, it's been kind of fun considering all the options! I'll keep you posted. :)

quiltmouse 03-30-2011 10:08 AM

I have a set of those quilt blocks (pink & blue floral) that I have been working on for YEARS. I always intended to alternate the embroiderty with pieced blocks in complementary colors, maybe a sampler.

ghostrider 03-30-2011 10:13 AM

You could also set them inside the spaces of an Irish Chain in a 2-3-2-3-2 pattern, with the chain in the wheat color.