Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   stupid cat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stupid-cat-t133766.html)

sahm4605 06-28-2011 08:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay I am foaming at the mouth mad right now. Last night I finished my sons first bed quilt. I just had to hand sew the binding on the back and wash it for him. And it would have been all done for his second birthday at the end of August. Well went into the dinning room where it was sitting waiting for me to put the kids down for nap to work on it. That is where all my sewing stuff is. I also had a number of other items in various stages of being worked on. Well my stupid cat had been laying on it this morning and long story short there is now a hole in it. Thank God not all the way threw the quilt just the top and batting. How would I fix it. It is almost. In the center of the quilt. This is an oversized twin almost the size of a full. Other than ripping everything out. Here is a pic of the hole.

Airwick156 06-28-2011 08:06 AM

Can you put some type of an applique over it and then randomly put a few in other places so that it looks like it was supposed to be that way?

My daughter had made a Sun Bonnet Sue with alot of hand applique on it and somehow she got some black oil on it and it wouldn't come out so she hand appliqued a little bluebird over the oil spot and put a few randomly around the quilt so that it didnt look out of place. And no one is the wiser.

Tartan 06-28-2011 08:08 AM

Perhaps you can hand applique a "planet" over the hole and scatter a few else where to disguise the save? If there is room, can you hand applique letters spelling his name onto the quilt? Darn Cat! Looks like an awesome quilt!

sahm4605 06-28-2011 08:10 AM

Thanks it is actually the one in my avatar.

jlm5419 06-28-2011 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
Can you put some type of an applique over it and then randomly put a few in other places so that it looks like it was supposed to be that way?

My daughter had made a Sun Bonnet Sue with alot of hand applique on it and somehow she got some black oil on it and it wouldn't come out so she hand appliqued a little bluebird over the oil spot and put a few randomly around the quilt so that it didnt look out of place. And no one is the wiser.

I second this suggestion. I made a paper pieced froggy wall hanging for my sister and when it was quilted, a couple of the seams pulled apart. I got lady bug and butterfly appliques to cover the spots and it looked like it was supposed to be that way.

k9dancer 06-28-2011 08:10 AM

I would applique a star over it; maybe add a few more to make it look planned.

Prism99 06-28-2011 08:18 AM

I would just find a piece of the same fabric and hand applique a piece over the hole; it should disappear into the fabric.

sahm4605 06-28-2011 08:20 AM

does anyone have a good u-tube vid of how to hand applique something. I have never done it. I have stitched a couple of patches to knees but those were not done very well.

Hinterland 06-28-2011 08:24 AM

That hole doesn't look that big. I would applique a bit of matching fabric over it and not worry about it.

20 years ago I made a bear paw for my sil. I didn't realize it but when my cat leaped on the frame, her back claws made a few small tears in the top. I was upset and didn't know what to do, so I decided I'd have to make another quilt for my sil, and keep this "damaged" quilt.

That quilt is still on my bed. It's been washed many times, and I can't find where the holes are. In fact, it has a border that rippled badly, and I fixed it by quilting a flap of extra border - can't find that either.

Janet

blueangel 06-28-2011 08:26 AM

I would applique a star or something over it so it won't be noticeable.