Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stupid question - Sewing machine box (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stupid-question-sewing-machine-box-t214098.html)

AndysC 02-17-2013 05:03 PM

Stupid question - Sewing machine box

I got a new sewing machine in November. I have been hanging onto the box "just in case, but I live in a small apartment and really don't have the space. Is there any reason I would need it in the future? Or can it go to the dumpster??? And for that matter, what about the box for the TV?

I know, I know, stupid questions...

katier825 02-17-2013 05:06 PM

If I have space, I hang on until the warranty runs out. After that no reason to keep. You could remove the packing materials and cut the box down to store it flat if you wanted to keep it just in case.

auntpiggylpn 02-17-2013 05:09 PM

Some items require that it be returned in original box if something goes wrong with it. I know this is what is required for my laptop. I know that it used to be that way with TV's. I helped a friend clean out her father's house after passing and he had every box for every electronic that he owned! Some he didn't even have the item anymore. Check your warranty for your machine and/or send an email to the manufacturer asking if the box is needed for returns.

mighty 02-17-2013 06:21 PM

I to hang on to mine for a long time.

Elise1 02-17-2013 06:51 PM

I put my sewing machine back in the box when I am traveling by car with my machine. I don't have a carrying case and the box works just fine.

quiltjoey 02-17-2013 07:00 PM

I have a ton of them in the attic; sewing machines, TV's, computers, appliances, etc! Me, Hoarder of boxes??!! :p

quiltingcandy 02-17-2013 07:00 PM

When I bought my Janome 6600P the Store told me to keep the box if I want to up grade within the next 6 months they would give me full credit if I returned it in the box. So I kept the box and decided to keep my machine - finally thru away the box. And the same with my Accuquilt Go - kept the sill box for a year.

GrannieAnnie 02-17-2013 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by AndysC (Post 5868789)
I got a new sewing machine in November. I have been hanging onto the box "just in case, but I live in a small apartment and really don't have the space. Is there any reason I would need it in the future? Or can it go to the dumpster??? And for that matter, what about the box for the TV?

I know, I know, stupid questions...

If you feel better keeping them, break them down and slide them behind the headboard or under the bed or behind the china cabinet or between the washer & dryer.

nativetexan 02-17-2013 08:05 PM

if you feel the need to keep a box, flatten it out and put in the closet behind your clothes or under the bed.

auntpiggylpn 02-17-2013 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5868999)
If you feel better keeping them, break them down and slide them behind the headboard or under the bed or behind the china cabinet or between the washer & dryer.

Okay, now that is a brilliant idea!!!