Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stupid question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stupid-question-t233851.html)

quiltapillow 11-04-2013 07:16 PM

BUT---GO Slow, don't say alot just observe, listen real carefully before you ask a question. Some guilds are dictatorships and the hirarky is real stiff.

Scissor Queen 11-04-2013 07:25 PM

The usual difference between a quilting club and a quilt guild are clubs are usually just a group that gets together and sews. Guilds have by-laws and elect officers and generally follow Roberts rules of order for meetings.

Sis 11-04-2013 08:21 PM

If you can't locate a guild thru you local quilt shop, what about asking if there is a group of quilter that gather informally at a church, community or senior center? Also check on the internet for charity quilt groups (i.e. Project Linus). I have met wonderful ladies & learned a tremendous amount from working with my local Project Linus chapter 'blanketeers'. Plus they don't charge dues like the local quilting guild does.
(www.projectlinus.org)

juropat 11-04-2013 08:37 PM

I would love to join Quild club but unfortunately I work 2nd shift. Would love to have some of the discount. Sad I can't qualify for them. But it be worth checking into in your area and see if you like it.

quiltykim 11-04-2013 08:43 PM

We have a couple guilds in Madison wi. You can really learn a lot and find inspiration by attending! I wish I could go to more meetings :)

Peckish 11-04-2013 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by EvieD44 (Post 6385798)
they do have guilds in Japan. Our guild The Shining Tides has a sister guild with the towns (Fairhaven Ma.) sister city....Tosashimizu Kochi Japan

I stand corrected, apparently. We (my friend Cindi and I) were at the show in Houston last week, and there was a special exhibit of Japanese quilts. A few of the quilters were there, and we were able to chat with them, and that's what they told us - they don't have guilds.

Maybe that's changing and a guild trend is sweeping Japan. :)

Jo Cypher 11-05-2013 05:21 AM

I am part of a sewing group. Nothing real formal. We have a quilt show every year which the entire community is encouraged to participate.We go on shop hops together and enjoy each other's company. No quilt police.

FroggyinTexas 11-05-2013 07:06 PM

Google quilt guilds in your state and you will find out whether there are any guilds near you. Guilds typically meet once month, have some sort of program presented by a quilter with a particular skill, do commun ity servie projects, have all day sew days several times each year, have challenges for members, etc. As a rule, quilters are the nicest people you will meet. Try it!You will like it! dnf

Originally Posted by Tfch8184 (Post 6383103)
What is a quilt guild?

I've never heard of them till coming hear. It sounds like a quilting club but I would like some details about them.

Tothill 11-05-2013 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tfch8184 (Post 6384612)
I just looked up guilds in my state.

Sadly the closest one to me is over half an hour away and meets during my daughters bedtime.

But I have an entire online community and I've met some some quilters who work at my local Joann's that I jibber jabber with all the time.

I guess we all have different ideas of how far is too far to go to a meeting. I would drive an hour to go to an interesting meeting (each way).

Let Daddy put your daughter to bed, or get a sitter if he works nights and go meet some new people. If they meet every week try to go at least once a month.

Make time for yourself.