Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stupid Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stupid-question-t286869.html)

klswift 03-18-2017 06:57 AM

the only 'stupid' question are those not asked!

KwiltyKahy 03-18-2017 07:25 AM

I'm surprised there are so many on here that have not heard of this. I see it all the time, and don't know what it means. I am also surprised that we haven't had an answer yet.

nativetexan 03-18-2017 07:32 AM

well the one link shown earlier went to a Boom swap. that must be it.

sewbizgirl 03-18-2017 07:50 AM

You people are funny! The Boom swaps (short for boomerang) have been going on here for years, in the swaps section. They are a 12.5" block swap. The coordinator is Janice McC. Each member who joins will send in a fat eighth for each other member, and we make a 12.5" block out of these f8s, adding in our own coordinating fabrics. Then when you get all your blocks back from the swap, you can make a beautiful friendship sampler out of your blocks.

Most people send the same fabric to everyone in the group, but sometime people send in several different fabrics, if they are making a more scrappy type quilt.

There are always two group options-- a two month group and a three month group. They take place at the same time. Some die-hard swappers join both groups.

It's the MOST FUN! You can make any block you like, as long as it comes out 12.5". You can make your favorites or try out some new block patterns, pieced or applique.

To get a good idea of what is being swapped in the current Boom swap, take a look at the gallery that Janice has set up. It opens with the March group, but be sure to click on the other tabs at the top to see the April group and also past swaps and some finished quilts from past swaps.
http://boomerangswaps.weebly.com/

You can read the rules of the swap in the first post of any Boom swap thread. Hope to see some of you curious people in future Booms! You'll have a blast.

wbfrog 03-18-2017 09:00 AM

Hi thee Redstilettos,
Not a stupid question after seeing this I went web searching, I believe as "cotton mama" that this is auto correct. In searching there is a book name BOOM and a blog name craftboom did not find anything else.

Kassaundra 03-18-2017 09:02 AM

Several people have given the answer it is the Boomerang swap.

mmac71 03-18-2017 09:07 AM

SewBiz thank you for the explanation of the Booms. I have been a lurker there for a long tome, love looking at all the beautiful blocks, but the confusion is on the packaging process in sending. fat 1/8ths say 20 individual zip locks. Put info such as whose fabric it is-requests on color preference etc. Make blocks and return them in the same zip locks (?) .. I guess I am dense but I don't want to commit to one without knowing exactly what to do. I do get that they have to be 12.5 inches. Hope another starts soon and can join in.

Kassaundra 03-18-2017 09:15 AM

We put the individual zip lock bags into a single bubble priority (one price type) envelope. We send them all to Janice. She sorts them sends them back to each of us (we provide postage). We make the block put each one back in a baggie the senders baggie is easier b/c it already has their name. We include our name as the maker. When they are all finished we send them back to Janice who again sorts them and sends them back to each of us. The postage is a little higher then other swaps since we are paying for 4 mailings, but it is over 2 or 3 months, and so much fun it is worth it. Each mailing is 7.80 if you use the one price envelope.[QUOTE=mmac71;7786514]SewBiz thank you for the explanation of the Booms. I have been a lurker there for a long tome, love looking at all the beautiful blocks, but the confusion is on the packaging process in sending. fat 1/8ths say 20 individual zip locks. Put info such as whose fabric it is

sash 03-18-2017 10:16 AM

Not a stupid question; I have also seen this.

marietta 03-18-2017 11:42 AM

As a first time "boomer" for the April Boom 18 it's been Great fun and wonderful. If there was something about the instructions, or anything else, I just asked questions in the thread of previous participants like sewbizgirl and Kassaundra and others. And also emailed our coordinator Janice. All were so very very helpful and kind. And they make the most amazing blocks!!