Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stupid Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stupid-sewing-machine-t39418.html)

littlehud 03-13-2010 03:27 PM

I'm glad you decided to rip it out and start over. I'm sure mom is saying "I'm so glad she is using it "

Sharon321 03-13-2010 05:33 PM

Can you look for a universal walking foot? Any Bernina owners know?

sewgray 03-13-2010 06:03 PM

You probably need to get the Bernina foot because the 180 has 9mm wide feed dogs. I have a 180 and I love it. I feel pretty sure your mom would want you to use and enjoy her machine.

shequilts 03-13-2010 06:32 PM

I do have a Bernina and other feet just don't work. Re the Bernette machine...I have been told they are not made by Bernina. That's why the quality is not the same. I guess somebody just jumped in on the name and provided a low end machine. If there is any way you can become the owner of your Mom's machine, you'll never regret owning it. It's a wonderful machine and can do soooooooo much.
I just know your Mom would love knowing you are using and enjoying it.

SuzyM 03-13-2010 07:46 PM

I finished quilting and ready to put the binding on. I took a two hour nap today so I got behind but oh well. I am so impressed with the 180 I cannot believe how smooth and quiet it is. It even beeps at you when you bobbin thread gets low. I never had a machine that winds a bobbin so fast and even. I know my mom paid a pretty penny for it but I now understand why she loved it so much.

I don't think I am even going to bother to take the Bernette in. The Bernette has the Bernia name on it so I thought it would be a good reliable machine but I was wrong.

memathomas 03-14-2010 02:58 AM

take it in!!! you never know if you will need a back up when the good one has to go in for cleaning i have two jan's memory crafts one is a combo and i can use it when i have a sewing buddy or one need cleaning or if the one is doing a design and i need to sew something else you never know.
but reading your reaction to your new machine i think i am going to look at that brand next time i upgrade.
good luck and enjoy your mom's gift to u

mema

LindaR 03-14-2010 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
Don't feel weird using your mom's machine, I'm sure she is looking down on you wondering why on earth you hadn't thought of it sooner :)

when threading your machine you may have missed a tension spot so the thread is loose on the bottom. Try rethreading your machine and sew on a sample piece of cloth first to make sure your tension is good. It may be time for a tuneup on your machine!

you avatar is absolute adorable...wheres the baby????

GailG 03-15-2010 06:57 AM

I'm so glad you've had success using your mom's machine. Now take that troubled machine for a visit to the machine doctor. It may just be that the bobbin's not sitting in there properly or some simple things such as that. It would make a good spare.

Janette 03-15-2010 07:17 AM

I, too, was going to buy a Bernette. I have owned Berninas since 1976 and love them but wanted a cheaper machine I could take on trips. When I looked at the Bernette I saw that it was made in China. That did it for me. My dog died of kidney failure and, after watching her suffering for the 3 days it took for her to die, I try to stay away from anything made in China. I also did some research on the Internet looking for machines. Nobody had anything good to say about the Bernette. Cannot understand why Bernina would not have a low-cost machine built to their standards.

GailG 03-15-2010 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Janette
I, too, was going to buy a Bernette. I have owned Berninas since 1976 and love them but wanted a cheaper machine I could take on trips. When I looked at the Bernette I saw that it was made in China. That did it for me. My dog died of kidney failure and, after watching her suffering for the 3 days it took for her to die, I try to stay away from anything made in China. I also did some research on the Internet looking for machines. Nobody had anything good to say about the Bernette. Cannot understand why Bernina would not have a low-cost machine built to their standards.

I'm sorry about your dog. I mean no disrespect, but what does your dog's dying have to do with the Bernette being made in China? I must have missed something earlier. Sorry.

It is so difficult to find things that are NOT made in China. Have you shopped at WalMart lately? It's disgusting.