Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stupid Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stupid-sewing-machine-t39418.html)

Prism99 03-17-2010 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
I have a question about using spray starch on the top, if I want to use a quilting pencil or quilting marker, would I be correct to spray the quilt with starch first then use the marker or pencil, or would the pencil or marker be easily removed if sprayed with starch before or after?

I don't mark with pencil but, if I did, I would spray starch first to help the pencil marks wash out easily later.

If you are using something that erases easily, like chalk, then I would probably spray after marking to keep it in place longer.

LindaR 03-18-2010 04:53 AM

look in the bottom of your bobbin case...does it have an extra little metal piece that isn't exactly flat but kinda kinked (not a good description). That is what keeps the bobbin from spinning. The little teflon circles do a better job when FMQ. think about how hard the bobbin thread is pulled thru the machine when sewing. Its kinda a backlash problem but they work really good.

needlehappy 03-18-2010 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by SuzyM
All of your suggestions I have tried and tried and tried that is why it is so frustrating to use that machine. I am taking it in this weekend to the man that serviced my mom's machine. He is going to take a look at it and if he can't fix it then it is gone. I don't want to fight with my machine everytime I sit down to use it. I just about broke out in tears when I used my mom's and the tension was beautiful and stitches were straight and aligned without a battle.

Berninas and Bernettes are like chalk and cheese. I have a Bernina that is nearly 30 years old and works perfectly. My mum has a Bernette which has a tinny sound and clunks badly. I have only used it once, that was enough. Don't feel bad about using your mom's machine,I'm sure she would be pleased to know her machine has helped you out. I always tell my girls you can always count on your mom.

BellaBoo 03-18-2010 05:50 AM

I use bobbin genies in all my bobbins, piecing and quilting. It stops static electricity build up which does something weird to the bobbin.

Gerbie 03-18-2010 06:14 AM

Thanks Prisim 99 for the information about the starch and marking equipment. I am definitely going to try the starch. I live in an area where I am limited for getting quilting supplies, nearest LQS in 2 directions is 100 miles away and in one direction over 200, so I have to use what is available, also our local WalMart is in the process of closing the fabric dept. so now we have no fabric store in town. I live in the boondocks definitely. Thanks for the help. Gerbie

grammypatty7 03-18-2010 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by SuzyM
I bought a Bernette 82 over a year ago and I hate it. I had a cheap Kenmore that cost me $100 and it could sew circles around the Bernette. Once I finish this quilt this thing is going to the repairman and if he can't fix it is going in the trash.

Anyway this is my dilema, I got a good portion of my quilt quilted when I looked on the back and the bobbin was making some of the stitches with large loops on the backend. My only solution is to

1. Rip it all out and start again (on this quilt my seam ripper and I are on a first name basis so I really don't want to do it but I will if I have to and there is no guarantee that it won't happen again.

2. Stitch by and all those loops down by hand so you can see them

3. Glue them down but I don't know what kind of fabric glue to use.

Please help

Can't help with this quilt but one thing you can do take the quilt in to the dealer and show them what is happening to you. I recently bought a new Pfaff and was told that machines can be finicky and the thread you've been using for years won't work in it. Sometimes you have to try several different brands before finding one that will work well and the sad thing is, a brand may work on one machine of the same brand and not on another. I was also so told that I MUST put in a brand new needle before beginnng to machine quilt a quilt as you need good sharp needle. I always bought an all purpose thread for my first Pfaff and had no problems but on this one, I do now buy machine sewing thread. Good luck. I'm just beginning to learn how to machine quilt but I ran into your frustrations 46+ years ago when I first started quilting and tried machine quilting. At least you know you can do it if you have a sewing machine that can do it. When I took my new Pfaff in for a free class, it was awesome watching how the machine performed for her and it's doing wonderfully for me now too. A good sewer/quilter/seamstress should be able to sit down and any machine and have success without the annoying frustrations. My new one is more computerized than my first one and I do love it but it has taken me a while and some practice to get where I can do things with ease.
Patty

BoJo 03-19-2010 04:46 PM

I have a Bernina 180 and it is very good. Really enjoyed it. I upgraded to the Bernina 730 but kept my 180 for a back up. It is a very good machine.

Feel very honored and proud that you have your Mother's machine. Enjoy using it. Maybe she will send you a "sign" of how happy she is for you.

skjquiltnut 03-23-2010 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I use bobbin genies in all my bobbins, piecing and quilting. It stops static electricity build up which does something weird to the bobbin.

I forget; What is a bobbin genie?

Margie 03-23-2010 07:25 PM

Your mother would love it that you are using her machine. I have a Bernina Artista and love it, I also have many other machines. I think Berninas are my favorite ..I got the 830 for Christmas and need to learn to use it lol

Margie

BoJo 03-24-2010 04:12 AM

Margie,

WOW!! You are one LUCKY person to have the 830.

Have seen them but the price tag is high.

Enjoy and learn to use its many features.

Lois