Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stupid stitch length ?.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stupid-stitch-length-t273504.html)

Auntevie 12-20-2015 12:57 AM

Stupid stitch length ?....

I know understanding stitch length is probably very basic sewing, but it's something I just don't get. Is there a formula that tells you what size stitch length to set your machine per inch? Ie... If I wanted to quilt a 2.75" line, what size stitch do I set my machine at so it ends exactly where I want to end. (Hope that makes sense) I usually just guess and use trial and error, which isn't a very good method! Sorry... I'm sure this is also basic math.... Duh... What am I missing?????

Knitette 12-20-2015 01:24 AM

There are indeed formulas. However my maths are so poor I always just test on a scrap of fabric until it looks 'right', lol. There will undoubtedly be someone along in a minute to give you a foolproof method, but in the meantime here are a couple of links - a handy chart here and the formula here - Understanding Stitch Length. Happy quilting :)

ManiacQuilter2 12-20-2015 06:16 AM

I always understood stitch length to be what was necessary to do a project. I set mine above 1 for paper piecing, 2.5 for piecing, 3 for quilting and anything above that for basting. The number setting are not in "inch" measurements. Interesting posted article.

lfty298 12-20-2015 07:21 AM

“If I wanted to quilt a 2.75" line, what size stitch do I set my machine at so it ends exactly where I want to end.”

- I don’t think there is a formula - or even workable way to arithmetically determine precisely where your last stitch will end. There are too many variables (your particular machine, and thickness of your needle, thread and fabric), not to mention the clunky conversion of metric to English measures, as you can see from the Knitette’s reference charts.
The exact spot for a needle to land is not my strong point - but when I do occasionally need that kind of precision, I stop at the next to the last stitch and
use the hand wheel and an appropriate tug or push to get that last stitch where I want it.

KLO 12-20-2015 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette (Post 7408617)
There are indeed formulas. However my maths are so poor I always just test on a scrap of fabric until it looks 'right', lol. There will undoubtedly be someone along in a minute to give you a foolproof method, but in the meantime here are a couple of links - a handy chart here and the formula here - Understanding Stitch Length. Happy quilting :)

Knitette in Scotland, Thanks so much for those two links especially the second one. Great information to keep handy. Now I get it!

tessagin 12-20-2015 08:55 AM

I have both of these in my binder (printed) along with my sewing manuals and a few other charts.

KalamaQuilts 12-20-2015 09:05 AM

different machines use different numbers also. A Janome 2.5 might be a 2.3 on a Bernina and so on.

Bree123 12-20-2015 10:06 AM

If you're just trying to convert millimeters to Stitches per Inch, I use this chart: https://tv-sewingcenter.com/sewing/m...tches-per-inch

If you're thinking of determining the length of each quilting line based on even stitches, I wouldn't recommend that unless you are only stitching identically sized quilting lines throughout your entire quilt. It will not look right to have many different lengths of stitches throughout your quilting because you wanted to have the ones for each stitching line even. Even the top award-winning quilters, from everything I've ever read or seen from them, just take a smaller stitch to get to the end of a stitch line. You don't start/stop quilting lines that often & the dozen or so times you take a smaller stitch will be much less noticeable than having three dozen different stitch lengths throughout your quilt.

2.75mm is a good length for quilting stitches. That works out to be about 9 stitches per inch. You could also go a bit larger at 3mm or roughly 8 stitches per inch.

ckcowl 12-20-2015 10:40 AM

I generally have my machine set for 10-12 stitches per inch for all basic sewing/ piecing. I may increase that to 14-16 for paper piecing and I lengthen the stitch length when sewing fleece, minkie, knits or heavy fabrics to 8-10 stitches. These stitch lengths give me a nice, secure seam and since I use my built in thread cutter the machine takes a ( lock stitch) when it cuts, so it doesn't matter how long my seam or stitch is. I've never heard of anyone adjusting stitch length for every seam they stitch-- seems like an awful lot of work.

Auntevie 12-20-2015 02:34 PM

Thank you all so much! It was all so helpful!