Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Subscription to "The Flock" by Hummingbird Highway (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/subscription-flock-hummingbird-highway-t313672.html)

NZquilter 12-31-2020 04:58 AM

Subscription to "The Flock" by Hummingbird Highway

Has anyone joined "The Flock" by Hummingbird Highway? You receive a laser cut kit every month in the mail for as long as you are subscribed. I've been thinking about it for over a year now and am sorely tempted to try in 2021. I would love to hear any feedback. https://hummingbird-highway.com/thef...c0223e68310bb1 .

SusieQOH 12-31-2020 06:33 AM

NZ, I don't know about this particular one but I'm doing a BOM from Shabby Fabrics for my little one and everything is laser cut. It's a lot of applique but all the pieces are ready to work with. I'm loving it. The kit you are referring to is adorable!! It's fun to have something to look forward to, isn't it?

pbraun 12-31-2020 07:10 AM

"The Flock" looks interesting albeit a bit pricey. But my DH is a bird watcher and is constantly interrupting me with binoculars, bird books and requests for my observations. Who has made this or similar for bird watcher?

thimblebug6000 12-31-2020 08:52 AM

That is a really cute Flock....as a birder I am tempted, but have more than my share of projects on the go at the moment. I would probably choose the "Lite" version as the shipping of the blocks to Canada would be pricey (if they even ship here) Look forward to seeing your Flock take flight!

NZquilter 12-31-2020 03:38 PM

I'm not exactly a bird watcher, but I've always loved birds and watching them out the windows. :) I agree, it is pretty pricey, but being laser cut, I think it would be pretty easy to put together. I wouldn't want to cut all those pieces myself! I really want to do a BOM for 2021. My sewing time has gone down to almost nothing, with 3 children and Baby due in February, but I think a BOM with keep me sewing just enough to keep my sanity and "me time".

Peckish 12-31-2020 04:05 PM

I agree, it looks interesting. I also would probably choose the Lite version, not just for cutting the price in half, but mostly because I'd rather pick my own fabrics.
NZQuilter, you have passed the test I usually set for myself when I'm tempted to buy something - you cannot stop thinking about it after some time has passed. Usually for me it's a day or a week. You've been at it a year! Let us know when you get your first block!

Rff1010 01-01-2021 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8448189)
NZQuilter, you have passed the test I usually set for myself when I'm tempted to buy something - you cannot stop thinking about it after some time has passed. Usually for me it's a day or a week. You've been at it a year! Let us know when you get your first block!

What they said!

deborahscanlon 01-01-2021 04:07 PM

That is $408 with shipping or 12 blocks. That is very expensive. And I don't know about the rest of you but sometimes I forget to use a leader and fabric gets sucked into the machine - always happens on the very small pieces and then they get ruined because I can't rip out the stitches without fraying the fabric beyond use. What happens when you ruin a piece? They are pretty though but I personally couldn't justify the cost of them. I am always drawn to bird blocks and there are lots of patterns out there for sale.

Macybaby 01-02-2021 04:14 AM

I'd be very interested if instead of templates, they had cutting files to use with a cutter. I got a ScanNCut for Christmas and have not taken it out of the box yet, and it would be really neat to have a project that would help me get to using it.

pbraun 01-02-2021 06:47 AM

It does seem way too expensive so I thought I might try one block pattern to see if I can cut out myself. I do not have much of a stash as I am new to quilting. I also am trying to "use up" fabric when I make something. At any rate, if I did do the 12 laser cut blocks the price would easily approach $1000 ( I take special quilts to a long-armer) and would have to be one DH really loves. This might be just a pipe dream.