Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggest batting for placemats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggest-batting-placemats-t293314.html)

DJ 12-14-2017 12:16 PM

Suggest batting for placemats

I'm wondering what the best batting for placemats would be. I've used Warm and White/Natural, but don't like the shrinkage in placemats. Love it in quilts. What brand would be comparable in a polyester batting that wouldn't have the shrinkage problem?

Thanks for your suggestions!

feline fanatic 12-14-2017 12:31 PM

Quilters Dream Request Polyester batting or the Select loft would be the most like W&N in loft and density with no shrinkage. Your next option would be Quilters Dream Green, the loft is the same as the Select. You could also use a blend like Hobbs 80/20 but it does have some shrinkage.

For placemats I usually use scraps of whatever low loft batting I have hanging around, even piecing together smaller scraps. I'm not fussy when it comes to the batting in placemats or table runners as long as it is a low loft. In fact those are the projects I utilize when wanting to use batting scraps.

A lot of dense quilting will also reduce the shrinkage that can happen on placemats with W&N. Or at least reduce the appearance of the shrinkage (wrinkles and crinkles along the quilting). But dense quilting can help to keep the batting from shrinking any old way it wants to and minimize the appearance of that crinkled old fashioned look so many of us enjoy in our quilts.

Prism99 12-14-2017 01:28 PM

You could also just pre-shrink the Warm and Natural Batting. Soak in hot water, dry on hot in dryer. You can't do that with every batting, but Warm and Natural is stable enough for pre-shrinking this way.

bearisgray 12-14-2017 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 7962596)
You could also just pre-shrink the Warm and Natural Batting. Soak in hot water, dry on hot in dryer. You can't do that with every batting, but Warm and Natural is stable enough for pre-shrinking this way.

I've found Warm and Natural batting to be very stable when I washed and dried it.

Jingle 12-14-2017 04:06 PM

I made one using the high loft batting I usually use. FMQ quilted as usual. It turned out great. I used it as a dresser topper. Worked out okay.

Irishrose2 12-14-2017 04:26 PM

Pellon fleece interfacing, available in both fusible and non fusible. I like the non. I really wouldn't make a placemat or table runner without it.

DJ 12-14-2017 04:30 PM

Great information. Thank you all!

illinois 12-15-2017 03:40 AM

One of the placemat patterns I have recommends flannel. Good way to recycle old flannel sheets that will no longer shrink! I suppose it depends on how thick you want the placemat to be. Personally I like a bit more than what flannel would provide but it was interesting that the pattern recommended it.

jmarko 12-15-2017 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by DJ (Post 7962571)
I'm wondering what the best batting for placemats would be. I've used Warm and White/Natural, but don't like the shrinkage in placemats. Love it in quilts. What brand would be comparable in a polyester batting that wouldn't have the shrinkage problem?

Thanks for your suggestions!

I use insulbrite in mine. That way if someone puts something hot on it, it doesn't harm the table.
My daughter in laws and sister in law love this idea. I also use it in all of my tablerunners.

junegerbracht 12-15-2017 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 (Post 7962728)
Pellon fleece interfacing, available in both fusible and non fusible. I like the non. I really wouldn't make a placemat or table runner without it.

I too use Pellon fleece - have tried fusible but it’s not my favorite and costs more. I buy a bolt when on sale at Joann’s.