Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestion needed for hanging wall quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestion-needed-hanging-wall-quilt-t281058.html)

oneteappot 08-04-2016 09:02 AM

Suggestion needed for hanging wall quilt

I am putting together a raffle basket for a club. I am making a fall wall hanging for it and wondering what type of a hanger to put on it. A sleeve, the corner triangles or what. Also any suggestions for other items to put with it? I was considering placemats and a couple of embroidered towels, maybe a fall fragranced candle. How many placemats would you make? I am using some of my stash or trying to.
Thanks in advance!

toverly 08-04-2016 09:09 AM

If the wall hanging is small, I would sew the little 1/2 white plastic rings for draperies on the back. Then it can be hung with simple picture hooks eliminating the need for a rod or dowel. Unless you sew the dowel in too and roll the hanging around it. I think placemats are a great idea, sets of 4 with matching napkins out of the same fabric.

oneteappot 08-04-2016 09:13 AM

The wall hanging is going to be about 24 inches wide. So it will need a dowel rod. I haven't made enough wall hangings to know what works best. I was considering rolling the hanging around the dowel in the basket and putting a photo of the items on the outside of the basket.

ManiacQuilter2 08-04-2016 09:37 AM

I would make a rod pocket that would take the width of a small dowel or a skinny drapery rod. Placemats can be a set of 4 or 6.

osewme 08-04-2016 10:30 AM

I would make some microwave bowl pot holders to add to the basket. I have given away many of these & everyone has really loved them. Be sure to make them out of 100% cotton (fabric, thread, batting) since they will go into the microwave. I'd put a little instruction card in with them as some people may not know what they are. I would include a set of 4. A set of pillowcases might be nice also (fall colors).

Anniedeb 08-04-2016 06:02 PM

I like to do both the dowel rod, and the triangle corner pockets. Sometimes I hang mine with the rod, but other times I like to slip magnets in to hang up outside on my metal door.

carolynjo 08-06-2016 05:05 AM

It seems that a dowel rod would work just fine because the size doesn't seem exorbitant.

mic-pa 08-06-2016 05:17 AM

When I make a sleeve to put on the back I make it in two pcs leaving an opening in the middle of the wallhanging. Then they can hang it on a hook or nail or something from the middle. Especially if it is a small one. Eliminates the need for to braces on either end to hang it. Hope you can understand what I jsut said LOLOL

Bree123 08-06-2016 07:54 AM

I always think the ones that have a slightly shorter sleeve with the tiny screw eyes on either side of the rod are cute because then they can either use some clear fishing line or a pretty ribbon or even lovely copper wire to make a decorative hanging.

mac 08-06-2016 08:35 AM

You all have such great ideas for hanging the quilt, I never thought of any other way but using a dowel and hanging with nails. You have much better ideas.

I think that the microwave bowl potholders are a great idea. I won one in a 'Pirate's Game' and I love it. They put a small glass bowl by Pyrex inside so that I would understand what it was used for. I keep meaning to make more for myself, but keep forgetting. A set of four of those and 1 glass bowl would make a nice addition to the basket.

Last year I did a wall hanging for our fall bazaar and it sold a lot of tickets. So your wall hanging in the basket with all the other things that you are including should do fabulous.