Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions/Advice/Help...I can's seem to make a decision! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-advice-help-i-cans-seem-make-decision-t216227.html)

pyffer3 03-12-2013 05:46 PM

Suggestions/Advice/Help...I can's seem to make a decision!

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all. I want to make a large lap quilt for my husband, who was in the Army (only 3 years) part of which he spent in Vietnam as a paratrooper with the 101st airborne. Well I bought some various patches and these three fabrics. I was thinking of doing a turning twenty pattern and on some of the plain squares sewing a patch on-very sporadically so it is not overwhelming with patches. My questions are: is this going to be too busy? do I have enough colors to do a turning twenty? Should I get another color or two? Sometimes less is more, right? My daughter picked out the army fabric and I think it will look good. What do you think? Terina
[ATTACH=CONFIG]401440[/ATTACH]

SusanMarie1956 03-12-2013 05:59 PM

Hi!

I just looked up the Turning Twenty. It has such small blocks. If I were making this, I would break up the busy looking material by using PLAIN Black, Red & White blocks with it.. That would look good.

Susan

mom-6 03-12-2013 06:02 PM

That's going to be very nice! If you wanted to add another fabric or two I would go with an army green and maybe a taupe. However I don't know that you really need to add them. I've not done that pattern so I'm not sure how it works with various numbers of different fabrics. I would use more of the solids than the print I think, especially since you are putting the patches on some of them. As you lay it out you will get a feel for what will look best.

pyffer3 03-12-2013 06:10 PM

what I was thinking was using an 81/2 square, a 41/2 x 81/2, and a 121/2 x 41/2 for each block, varing the fabric with each size to get different blocks, plus turning the blocks around before sewing together. I did see one that had a small black around each block and I really liked the sharpness of that look. Then adding a patch here and there on a solid fabric secition before quilting.

soccertxi 03-13-2013 06:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How about a unpieced square with a border around it. You could do it in two colors or add a couple more. Here is a picture of one I did in USC fabrics. Its bright! But you will get the idea. With the sq center, you would have a perfect spot for the patches. A solid center would be best to show off the patches. Tell you husband thank you for his service! We have 4 generations of military in our family with a daughter deployed till July. I wish I could shake his hand!

soccertxi 03-13-2013 06:28 AM

I forgot to say that this would look just find as a straight set and not on point. Just turn your head to see it straight.

craftycancer 03-13-2013 06:32 AM

wow! this is awesome!