Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions for decent pair of scissors?!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-decent-pair-scissors-t72171.html)

Ramona Byrd 10-25-2010 06:17 AM

I have a pair of gray KAI scissors (made in Japan) that I think I got in the 1980s. They cost over 30 dollars then and I threatened everybody with torture if they touched them, and I kept them hid all these years.
They have never been sharpened yet cuts any fabric cleanly and will probably last more years. I would love to have a small one of these but haven't gotten around to buying one. They are still advertised on the Internet.

EagarBeez 10-25-2010 06:32 AM

I have Fiskars, I love them and they have a terrific warrenty. They are reasonably priced for a begginer like me

wolfkitty 10-25-2010 06:41 AM

I like Gingher's, although I haven't tried the others recently mentioned. Fisker's are a good inexpensive brand, especially if kept only for sewing.

prairiequeen 10-25-2010 06:41 AM

I am a Gingher Gal

luvTooQuilt 10-25-2010 07:10 AM

Gingher would be my number one choice..Ive had to to sharpen my others already and the Ginghers are still cutting like a charm..

Jannie 10-25-2010 09:39 AM

I love my Ginghers. Becareful not to buy them to big. If you can't open them the whole way, they are to big so go down a size.

Scissor Queen 10-25-2010 10:15 AM

I love my Elan brand scissors. I have a whoooooooole lotta scissors to choose from and they're the ones I pick up the most often. They're the black pair at the bottom of my avatar.

Tracy50 10-25-2010 10:27 AM

I must admit; that is the first step I've heard. I am a scissor and thimble collector (scissor hoarder my friend says). I have over 50 pairs of Gingher's scissors. Every time a new design comes out, my local quilt shop owner, a good friend, calls me and I look them up on the net, then go buy them. I try to get them on sale or with a coupon from JoAnn's, but alas, they become part of my collection. They are wonderful. The older ones I use for paper and tye a thread or put a dot of fingernail polish on them signaling 'paper scissors.' I do have fisckars, and a pair of Bohen, and some other off brands, but my Gingher's are my pride and joy. I have three pair of Roxanne Silver Thimbles, and I just 2 weeks purchased an antique thimble that is beautiful and useful...so now we know where Tracy's money goes!! Actually I get them as gifts for Christmas and Birthday's now. YeeeHaaa!!

scowlkat 10-25-2010 11:17 AM

Am I the only person who loves Mundial scissors? I actually found my first pair when I moved to an apartment and found a tin of sewing notions in a closet under the stairs. I still have them and they are as sharp as a razor! However since I am left handed, I bought the large and small Fiskars spring loaded scissors and absolutely love them! I use them constantly.

bjnicholson 10-25-2010 11:24 AM

Whatever you do, don't get a pair that are too big for your hand. I got a pair of "fancy" Fiskars and I get a blister on my thumb every time I use them. Finally got a pair that the gals in JoAnn's that cut the fabric use. They swear by them and they're not expensive. (plus, they won't give you a blister!) I say they're fancy because they have soft handles and are supposed to be easier on your hands!