Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions - Lightweight Machine for Guild? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-lightweight-machine-guild-t82070.html)

Chickerson 12-11-2010 05:54 AM

I could really use some suggestions. I'm looking for an affordable lightweight machine to tote back and forth to my guild. What has worked for you? My dream would be a Singer Featherweight but I have to put that on hold at the moment.

I don't need all the bells and whistles because my Big Brother does embroidery, quilting and computerized. I don't want a Walmart machine but something with a little quality but lightweight.

I have MS and even though I could put it on wheels lifting in and out of the car is getting hard.

Thanks for your suggestions - blessings bunches
Carolyn

gollytwo 12-11-2010 05:56 AM

Janome Jem Gold or Jem Platinum
I have both - they're terrific machines c. 12-13 lbs, come with carrying case

Baysidegal 12-11-2010 07:33 AM

My Brother C6000i is very portable and very lightweight. Around $150-180.

icon17 12-11-2010 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chickerson
I could really use some suggestions. I'm looking for an affordable lightweight machine to tote back and forth to my guild. What has worked for you? My dream would be a Singer Featherweight but I have to put that on hold at the moment.

I don't need all the bells and whistles because my Big Brother does embroidery, quilting and computerized. I don't want a Walmart machine but something with a little quality but lightweight.

I have MS and even though I could put it on wheels lifting in and out of the car is getting hard.

Thanks for your suggestions - blessings bunches
Carolyn

Singer Featherweight!! of course! 8-)

Annaquilts 12-11-2010 09:10 AM

I have two Feather weights but I would probably grab the Janome Gem Gold I also have. It is the one with the carry case, little sewing machine table, walking foot, quilting and piecing foot plus more. I have over 5 friends that bought this machine several years ago and they do all their quilting on it. It is a 3/4 machine.

dunster 12-11-2010 10:20 AM

The Singer 301 is the "big sister" to the featherweight, is still lightweight and doesn't usually cost as much.

breannabelle 12-11-2010 10:59 AM

Janome Gem - I have a gold and LOVE it for classes - although I did recently get a good deal on a FW. For now, the Gem is the go-to machine...

Laura22 12-11-2010 04:26 PM

I too have a large Brother embroidery and sewing machine and I went with the cs6000i as well. It's a great little machine for travel and is very reasonable on Amazon. Reviews are good everywhere I've seen.

PMY in QCA-IL 12-11-2010 06:37 PM

I have a Janome "Heart Truth" which was a special release a couple of years ago and I love it for workshops. Many of my quilting friends love their Janome Gold machines.

ewesful 12-11-2010 10:50 PM

I found a second hand Pfaff "satin and denim" that goes with me everywhere - very portable and fabulous machine - I have several other types/brands and wouldn't trade this for any of them!