Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions needed for Quilt pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-needed-quilt-pattern-t234307.html)

Liz O 11-08-2013 03:18 PM

Suggestions needed for Quilt pattern

I am currently hosting an international high school student for this school year- with graduation in june 2014. I would like to make a quilt as a graduation/going away gift. His 2 favorite colors are sky blue and orange. I am a fairly new quilter and can't even picture these 2 colors together let alone a quilt made with them! Anyone have suggestions for an EASY :-) quilt. I have made several quilts using pre cuts since I have never been confident with accurate cutting!Precuts would be my first choice but I can't seem to get past the colors! I have done a "rail fence" as well as a patch work one with lots and lots of charms so I am not use to designing with 2 colors. Thanking you in advance!!

tessagin 11-08-2013 03:25 PM

Find out what his favorite things are and incorporate that into a quilt also. There are many shades of sky blue and orange. You could do a rail fence in shades of sky blue and shades of orange. Attic windows would be a good one. Scrappy would work. Also.

NJ Quilter 11-08-2013 03:32 PM

You could do pinwheels???? They can be a bit tricky but if you initially cut oversize and trim it's usually not too bad. Or stars???

Dina 11-08-2013 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You could probably do a rail fence that would look good. I just finished a quilt in blue/orange/ and white. The blue is darker than sky blue, but perhaps it could give you an idea of what such a quilt might look like. This is a chevron quilt, which is made of half square triangles. It was a challenge for me to make, and a rail fence would have turned out looking about the same.

Okay, let me find a picture, in case it "rings your chimes."

Dina

Tartan 11-08-2013 04:23 PM

Jenny Doan from Missouri Star Quikt co. posted a new video for a 2 colour quilt called Jabob's Ladder remix. It is simple to do using pre-cuts or yardage. Watch the youtube video and see if you would like to try it.

charsuewilson 11-08-2013 04:25 PM

Like a rail fence, with wider middle and the same color on both sides. If you alternate the orientation of this block it looks like woven ribbons. There may even be photos under this name.

M.Elizabeth 11-08-2013 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 6394444)
I just finished a quilt in blue/orange/ and white. The blue is darker than sky blue, but perhaps it could give you an idea of what such a quilt might look like. This is a chevron quilt, which is made of half square triangles." Dina

I love this combination of blue, orange, and white. I haven't made a zigzag or chevron yet, but I do like the pattern.

Liz O 11-08-2013 05:50 PM

May I just say you all are awesome!!!! Thank you so much for the great ideas. I especially loved seeing the photo of the colors together! They really do go together!! Thanks!!

Jan in VA 11-08-2013 09:30 PM

Dina's pretty quilt is a great idea.
But I also urge you to think about using more than one orange and one blue in the quilt you make. The two colors come in many values, using several fabrics/prints in each color will make the quilt have textural interest when you use a quick simple pattern.

Dina 11-09-2013 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6394923)
Dina's pretty quilt is a great idea.
But I also urge you to think about using more than one orange and one blue in the quilt you make. The two colors come in many values, using several fabrics/prints in each color will make the quilt have textural interest when you use a quick simple pattern.

Now this is a good idea! I can visualize a Yellow Brick Road or even a Take Five done in shades of blue and orange.

Dina