Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   suggestions please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-please-t5407.html)

gj 03-20-2008 05:41 PM

I need some suggestions for hanging blocks on the wall for arranging my quilt. I have heard you can use felt?

thanks!

tlrnhi 03-20-2008 05:50 PM

I just lay mine out on the floor, depending on if I have ALL the blocks done or not. If I just have about 1/2 of them done, I'll lay them on the bed.

ccbear66 03-20-2008 06:01 PM

You can buy one of those really cheap tablecloths that have a flannel back on it hang on the wall and then your blocks will stick to the flannel side.

skacian 03-20-2008 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by gj
I need some suggestions for hanging blocks on the wall for arranging my quilt. I have heard you can use felt?

thanks!

We went to Lowes and bought a cheap piece of foam board 4x8 for about $10.00, and I attached a large piece of flannel with tacks, and lean it up against the wall. The fabric squares will adhere to it, and don't fall off. You can get a good idea of what it will look like, and can move pieces around until you are pleased with the look.

MissTreated 03-20-2008 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ccbear66
You can buy one of those really cheap tablecloths that have a flannel back on it hang on the wall and then your blocks will stick to the flannel side.

This is what I do. The plusses is that one side is sticky (the 'flannel' side) and the other isn't. You can lay out your quilt, and if need be, roll it up and get it out of the way. The plastic tablecloths are very inexpensive, easy to store and easy to transport.

M

triciasquilts 03-20-2008 07:51 PM

I hung a piece of fleece on my wall. The fabric sticks very well to that too.

amma 03-20-2008 10:07 PM

I am thinking about making a frame out of pvc pipe, I can make it big enough for all of the pieces for a king sized bed. It will be light weight and easy to hang. I will attach a flannel to it. I am also going to make a smaller one to hang next to my sewing machine that will be big enough to hang several blocks on at a time, and that will be easily removed from the wall so that I can go back and forth with the blocks from the design wall to my machine.

justme 03-22-2008 03:16 PM

Hi everyone

Thanks for all your great ideas!

thimblebug6000 03-22-2008 03:29 PM

I use a sheet of syrofoam (about 3 x 6) that came as packaging & encased it in an old flannel sheet that I had sewn into an envelope, this is just nailed to my wall & works great for smaller projects.
My friend put a drapery rod up on a spare wall and hung a sheet of batting to this, she can then use it for a full size quilt design wall.

gj 03-22-2008 03:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the suggestions. I got flannel attached it to wall and it works great! See photo of quilt I am working on. This is great and I can move blocks around. (Which I am doing alot of.)