Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions please... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-please-t89061.html)

Maribeth 01-09-2011 04:15 PM

Free Block of the Month patterns will always bring me into a shop. :-D

JulieR 01-09-2011 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae

Originally Posted by JulieR
I really like the sew-in idea. Sometimes the problem isn't getting people to buy, it's getting people in the door in the first place. It is also a "friendly" thing to do, which is always a big perk.

If the LQS is THE place to be, it'll also be the place to buy.

Ours used to do this once a month on a Friday night and it was a huge success. They made a lot of sales. Now they charge $20 and have dinner brought in so I can't go anymore. I can't afford it.

That's the thing - it has to be completely FREE to participate. A potluck would be much smarter.

CarrieAnne 01-09-2011 04:20 PM

I would love more sales. Ours never have any it seems!

bjeriann 01-09-2011 04:34 PM

We have 2 LQS's - The first one is great in customer service, fabric, and classes, The other isn't. They never have sales or classes and the fabric is atleast 10 to 20% higher. I don't know how they stay in business.

ncsewer 01-09-2011 04:48 PM

I agree that classes are a great way to get folks in. Even though I don't have to buy the supplies there, they usually have made it convenient to purchase a kit with any special templates or items I need. Sometimes even the fabric if you want My favorite quilt store has machines in the class room so I don't need to take mine. That's a real draw for many, not having to lug around a machine. Also it gives people the chance to try out the machines! Not a bad idea if you sell machines.

Originally Posted by koko
I've seen many posts lately about the poor economy and how that has affected local quilt shops and other small businesses. With the price of cotton going up I'm sure the additional cost will have to be passed on to customers.

What suggestions do you have for local quilt shops which would help them to keep quilters' coming back?

Nanna to Emmie 01-09-2011 04:51 PM

I think if they were to offer a "club" where you can pay so much per week and then have the money to spend. For instance, $5 a week for ten weeks would be $50. Where I am from small businesses do this and it makes things easier to pay for and still get nice things.

Vicki W 01-09-2011 05:24 PM

My nephew owns a bike shop in LA. He is often told my some customers that he is more expensive than online. However, the customers come back to him. Why? Because he adds value to the purchase with knowledge. He helps fit the bike to way it is going to be used and helps to personalize it.

A local quilt shop has to do the same to stay in business. They have to be a "fountain of knowledge" so that the customer feels that they are adding value. This can be done by helping to select patterns and fabrics, offering classes, offering services or connections for services that quilters want and demostrations. Helping to host local shows etc.

hperttula123 01-09-2011 05:29 PM

Ours runs sales periodically and every summer they have a tent sale to get rid of last years fabrics. Mostly, it's about being friendly!! That's why I go back to the same one. They are so nice there. I just wish it wasn't an hour away or I would go more. :)

Durinda 01-09-2011 05:32 PM

As a new wanna be quilter I looked and looked for a local quilting class just to see if I could do it. I found nothing in easy driving distance and even those were very expensive lessons with several sessions. I found this board and am now having a great time learning from all you experts in the BOM groups. I think that a beginner's class with just a small block to start would have drawn me into a local shop. :-)

Mattee 01-09-2011 05:46 PM

Fantastic customer service! Be helpful to everyone, not just your regulars. Also, great beginner classes can attract new business. I often see beginner classes that aren't very good.