Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   suggestions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-t252791.html)

jeaniedrain 08-31-2014 07:09 AM

suggestions?

I am doing a demo for my quilting group in Jan. My idea is to demo items that are not made for quilting but have been used successfully. What do you use and how do you use it? Thanks in advance. Jeanie

joyce888 08-31-2014 07:24 AM

Painters tape. Can be used on rulers without leaving a residue. I also use it to hold the corner squares on snowball blocks and flying geese, doesn't distort the block and get in the way like pins do and can be reused. Also used for holding appliqué in place when applying by machine. My roll is covered in small pieces because it can be reused many times therefore making it very inexpensive.

ManiacQuilter2 08-31-2014 07:44 AM

I use painter tape to mark my base lines for cross hatching and a seam guide for a 1/4"seam on my Bernina. I use to demo EQ at my former guild and all the new member enjoyed it..

Geri B 08-31-2014 07:57 AM

Let's not forget Elmer's glue! Ziplock bags, pizza boxes to hold projects, TP core to roll binding strips on....more to come.....from others.....

Treasureit 08-31-2014 08:01 AM

I use coffee filters as stabilizer when I applique.

toverly 08-31-2014 08:05 AM

I use the heavy plastic zipper pouches that sheets and pillowcases come in to hold like items together. A pillowcase one holds my cutting blades, handles and klutz glove. A larger one holds fabrics to be used together in a future quilt. Also, wet Swiffer containers make great storage for extra items. They stack easily and you can see thru the lid to what's inside.

Mdegenhart 08-31-2014 08:11 AM

Mechanical pencils for marking. Chalk. Washable markers. Using builders chalk line to " pop" chalk lines.

Kwiltr 08-31-2014 08:18 AM

I use the clear plastic bins/boxes that salad greens come in to store units made up for a quilt project while I'm working on it i.e. Four patches, HST's, Flying Geese. I use cardboard from cereal boxes to make quilting templates, golf tees to keep bobbins with thread on them matched with their cone. Clear gift wrapping plastic and a dry erase marker to preview quilting design ideas.

KwiltyKahy 08-31-2014 08:24 AM

Lint rollers. I use them to grab all those little threads left after frog stitching. And if you put one on an extension for a paint roller, you can clean up floor of those little pieces and threads. That helps keep your vacuum brush from getting wrapped in threads (making one more thing that needs to be cleaned.)

Cathy77 08-31-2014 08:29 AM

You can also use painter's tape to clean off linty quilts or for removing the thread remnants after ripping a seam.

Anything round you can find in your house (plates, glases, vases, etc.) you can use to cut out round shapes or round off corners.

The blades sold for carpet knives can also be used in a fabric rotary cutter - but are far cheaper.