Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-t269189.html)

briskgo 08-25-2015 06:43 AM

Suggestions

Does anyone have a suggestion for a portable hand sew quilt project. Still not interested in knitting again which I loved as it was easy to carry around.

Thank you
geraldine

Tartan 08-25-2015 06:46 AM

I like to do a redwork embroidery blocks. All I need is my background fabric square, my non-slip hoop, my perle cotton thread, thread snips and my John James needles.

Geri B 08-25-2015 06:52 AM

...there's always EPP.....hexies, Lucy Boston patchwork of crosses, millefiiore. Or if you like to hand piece look into Linda Franz method of printing on fabric......just some more ideas......

earthwalker 08-25-2015 06:55 AM

Maybe a crazy quilt project....make up a little 'go bag' so whatever project you decide to do all the bits and pieces are in the bag (thread, scissors, etc.).

tessagin 08-25-2015 07:15 AM

You could put some quick crazy quilt blocks together, then look for embellishments. I like to use prewashed starched muslin for the foundation. I have a few blocks I'm working on scattered here and there. Got some old slips and doilies from estate sales and bric brac. old beads from old necklaces. Fancy dresses from estate/thrift stores have great lace and beading for embellishments. BAby clothes that have cotton lace or smocking. Got a wedding dress last year at thrift store. Ugliest thing one would even want to wear but had lots of beads and lace and embroider. Overkill for some people but great source for embellishing and the underskirt will be great for starter. bridesmaid dresses. Save those zippers and button strips. I leave the strips attached to the material. That way they're all in one spot and not flying all over. Most of the zippers are in pretty good shape for other projects.

Bree123 08-25-2015 07:17 AM

I do hand applique & carry it around in a little plastic shoe box (portable IdeaWorks folding LED light, needles & threads, thimbles, embroidery scissors, seam ripper & applique pins). I always have something to work on when I'm waiting. :)

bearisgray 08-25-2015 08:47 AM

You can hand piece any block - when I rode with DH in his big truck, I had blocks cut and marked and sewed while I rode.

kathiet 08-25-2015 09:16 AM

If you check on Micky Dupree's site she has several projects for handpiecing with blocks she has designed...very interesting

zozee 08-25-2015 10:03 AM

You could make up some charms, 2 of each fabric, and make up a kit for "match game" quilt for a child or charity. You could easily kit them in a quart-size ziploc, along with thread, needle, small scissors and seam ripper. (I carry the sharp items, actually, in a hard-bodied eyeglass case.) OH, and a Band-Aid, for obvious reasons:) .

ManiacQuilter2 08-25-2015 10:29 AM

I carry my hexes with me when I am waiting on an appointment.