Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   suggestions for using boxer shorts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-using-boxer-shorts-t28589.html)

dkbeck 11-12-2009 01:13 AM

A friend would like me to use her sons boxer shorts to make a quilt for him for graduation. She brought over 3 big bags all sizes. Any suggestions of a pattern. Almost need to put something behind the material, pretty flimsy.

k3n 11-12-2009 01:16 AM

:shock: I hope they were laundered! :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist...

I guess you could use a fine iron-on interfacing. :D

amma 11-12-2009 01:21 AM

I never would have thought about using boxer shorts....but why not??? LOL
I would use a light weight interfacing like k3n suggested, too.
Cut off the elastic and make a block out of the fronts of them?
Do any of them have sayings on the back or animals on them?
If so you could put them in a snowball block, sash them, use them as a center of a modified log cabin block...or parts of them to go around the centers for the logs...

dkbeck 11-12-2009 01:26 AM

same question i asked when she brought them to me.

marsye 11-12-2009 03:10 AM

I hope they don't have any skid marks. :lol: :oops:

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-12-2009 04:15 AM

It seems like you could just treat the project pretty much like a T-shirt quilt. Most of them have sayings and pictures just like T-shirts.

You have to wonder how on Earth he accumulated 3 big bags of boxers, though.

susiequilt 11-12-2009 04:30 AM

That's too funny. I can't imagine saving my son's outgrown boxer shorts for eternity!
Can't you see that son's face when mom gives him that quit! :D

bearisgray 11-12-2009 07:20 AM

Bet your friend has never made a quilt in her life - or even a potholder.

Ducky 11-12-2009 07:28 AM

Interesting idea for a quilt top..... I kind of like the snowball idea. They're easy and you can display much of the boxer's pattern. Will you use a sashing? Cornerstones could be from the boxers too.

Tiffany 11-12-2009 07:33 AM

Are most of the boxer shorts printed with an overall design or do they have logo/sayings instead? I think the pattern used would depend on this. If it is an overall pattern, any type of tessilations, 4-patch, or 9-patch patterns should work great.

Since this is for a friend, here is something that will be special for her. Make sure to take pictures of the process as you go. Start with the packages & you opening them up and spilling those fresh fabrics everywhere. You can take pictures of you at the sewing machine making a block, you cutting up the fabric, and basically making a historical journal of the making of this quilt from beginning to the end. You can easily pick up a small photo album from a local dollar store (or WalMart). When you are done with the quilt, it will go to the son but the photo journal will go to your friend (or into your personal quilting journal).

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to take my own advice! :roll: :lol: