Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   suggestions welcomed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-welcomed-t225245.html)

twinkie 07-07-2013 02:53 AM

I agree but would miter the corners to match the lines of the triangles.

Originally Posted by mamawalshrules (Post 6162722)
try and match the blue for the border ... and definitely cut it down it down to 10 before sewing on the border

quiltmom04 07-07-2013 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 6162728)
I think that maybe the blues are too similar in tone, and that's why you're not happy with it. Do you have a blue that is much lighter and another that's sort of a "royal" blue? Also, if you join the blocks without sashing then they will look like large squares set on point,meaning you needn't have cut them into triangles at all.

I agree - the blues are too similar in value. You need a much lighter / much darker combo. I'm afraid you'll loose the triangle work you did with those colors. And do cut it down like everyone said.

coopah 07-07-2013 03:17 PM

I'm always for the simplest way...I vote for cutting it down and adding the darkest blue border possible. Let us know how you finish this, okay?

bearisgray 07-07-2013 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How much goes into the seam allowances of squares cut into half triangles or quarter triangles

This is the same amount no matter how large or small the starting squares are - assuming 1/4 inch seam allowances.

wordpaintervs 07-07-2013 04:25 PM

Thanks for all the help ladies. Guess I won't toss it. Maybe just cut it down and find a lighter or darker color to border it with.

Mt Glory 07-08-2013 03:45 AM

What would happen if you cut your block to 10 1/2 inches then used the opposing fabric on each triangle for a border.

MarthaT 07-08-2013 05:22 AM

I vote for sashing of either light blue or dk. blue if you want to keep the quilt in blues. I think the triangles will show up better. What if you used dk. blue sashing with cornerstones made of one of your print fabrics to help tie it all together. Still thinking....But you said you want a 12 1/2" block. Hmmmm....If you cut it down and add borders to make it 12 1/2" then sew them together it will be like having a seam down each "sashing" strip. (Am I making any sense?) Rather than border each block before sewing the blocks together, wouldn't it be better to just use traditional sashing strips between blocks? By the way, I'm of the opinion there is no block beyond rescuing...just plenty of creative opportunities!

debbiemarie 07-08-2013 07:50 AM

I think it would be great simple like this, if you were going to do some decorative free motion quilting on it.

zkosh 07-08-2013 11:51 AM

I really like your blues. I am anxious to see how it ends up. :)

maryellen2u 07-08-2013 11:08 PM

I think your blue is a lovely color but there is just no contrast or interest. I am wondering what a darker blue to match the darker stitiching and then a white for more contrast. Are your really "married" to the block size? Play with it a bit to see what comes up. Have fun!