Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions for young teen boy quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-young-teen-boy-quilt-t147221.html)

Auntie Em 08-24-2011 04:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I make memory quilts when a grandchild graduates from High School....Michael graduated in June...he chose the colors and he loves baseball....instead of batting I used a fleece backing....he LOVED it!!

Flying_V_Goddess 08-24-2011 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
All of you have such a great wealth of info when it comes to suggestions for quilts. I need to make a couple of lap quilts for 12 yr old and 15 yr old nephews. I don't know them very well as they live quite a distance from me but I'm having difficulty coming up with something 'teen-like'. Do any of you have a website or a picture of a quilt you've made that a teen boy loved?

I made this for my son.
MK

Oooh! I love it!

Just-Lee 08-24-2011 05:11 PM

I made a Pittsburgh Steelers rag quilt for a teen. He loved it, used it, and there wasn't much time invested :) I also think that square in a square is masculine when used with the right colors.

Quiltaddict 08-24-2011 05:13 PM

I love all the BQ patterns because they feature large areas of your focus fabric. For that age, anything with cars or motorcycles would be perfect.

G'ma Kay 08-24-2011 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by everbtrue
How about a 10 minute block quilt in RWB? Or most anything in stars.

I agree, also animal prints

Anna.425 08-24-2011 06:09 PM

Either go with the dream truck, american metal cars or find out what his favorite video game is.

tuesy 08-24-2011 06:35 PM

I have a teenager son and he likes X-box (Halo especially) so I digitized and embroidered blocks for him that showed some of the awards that he had received on the game.
He also likes to make movies so I made him the Strip Show quilt (think that's what it's called) out of bright colors..
He also likes lizards and planes.. also has a duvet cover that covers the BTB quilt he had when he was little.

If you can find out just a few things they like, then you can go from there..
HTH

valerieolm 08-24-2011 08:31 PM

I'm considering doing a Tumbling Blocks for one of my grandsons. My other grandson has aspergers, so I'm going to use the new 3D fish material to make his quilt. For my oldest daughter, I made her a t-shirt quilt using her swim and water polo t-shirts. Used sashing and corner stones. Will try to post picture. Thanks, everyone, for sharing your beautiful quilts.

sailsablazin 08-24-2011 10:31 PM

I have a 15 year old....race cars or sports cars, corvettes, music theme, stars and constellations, horizons, sunsets, oceans.

gramarraine 08-25-2011 05:37 AM

If you knew what football or basketball teams they liked that would make a great quilt. If they are into hunting or fishing there is some really nice outdoors themed fabric in the stores. Or like has already been said demin or rag quilts are always nice. I have done all of the above and the quilts were loved.