Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Summer Breeze by Moda - jelly roll, layer cake, charm packs x 2, white & blue yardage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/summer-breeze-moda-jelly-roll-layer-cake-charm-packs-x-2-white-blue-yardage-t181237.html)

carslo 03-01-2012 07:00 AM

Summer Breeze by Moda - jelly roll, layer cake, charm packs x 2, white & blue yardage

I have bought all this material in hopes of creating something beautiful for my newly married daughter's spare room bed - it is a double. I bought a book called jelly rolls, layer cake etc but didn't find quite what I was looking for. Has anyone have any ideas? I am an intermediate quilter. Thanks in advance.

thepolyparrot 03-01-2012 07:16 AM

It's hard to choose a pattern without knowing how many fabrics, how much of light, middle & dark value prints you have, how much of the accent print, etc.

If the mix is balanced, a log cabin is a good choice - they always look like they're "more" than they are, if you know what I mean. :) It's a traditional pattern, but looks fresh and new when you use modern prints or it can look old-fashioned and cozy when you use vintage-look prints.

Use the charms cut once into 2½" strips for the shorter "logs," the layer cake cut three times into 2½" wide strips for the medium-length logs, then the jelly rolls for the rest of the logs. Cut some of the coordinating yardage into strips, then use the rest for borders and four pillowcases. :)

Eleanor Burns has a book called "Orion's Star" - the block is a log cabin with a variable star in the center. Pretty easy, but looks intricate when it's done. :)

Have fun!
Elizabeth

quiltsRfun 03-01-2012 07:16 AM

Scrap Basket Sensations by Kim Brackett. I want to make just about every quilt in the book.
Also check the Missouri Star tutorials.

thepolyparrot 03-01-2012 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 5021533)
Scrap Basket Sensations by Kim Brackett. I want to make just about every quilt in the book.

I LOVE that book! That would be a good one for a large mix of fabrics like this - it's bound to have something that will work! :thumbup:

TerryQuilter 03-01-2012 07:56 AM

I just ordered the jelly roll and charm pack of that fabric and I am going to do a potato chip quilt with it. I think it's going to turn out quite pretty.

Prism99 03-01-2012 10:09 AM

The Jelly Roll Magic book might have something for you. Here's a link to it on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/160...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

catmcclure 03-01-2012 10:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by carslo (Post 5021461)
I have bought all this material in hopes of creating something beautiful for my newly married daughter's spare room bed - it is a double. I bought a book called jelly rolls, layer cake etc but didn't find quite what I was looking for. Has anyone have any ideas? I am an intermediate quilter. Thanks in advance.

Here's a pattern I developed for a swap group. It uses layer cakes, charms and strips along with a little yardage. You can add additional blocks to make a queen or king size. Overlook the colors, I like to draft patterns with a lot of color and contrast.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]316627[/ATTACH]

Dolphyngyrl 03-01-2012 07:24 PM

I like the patterns in the strip therapy books, but the books are quite expensive

carslo 03-02-2012 08:44 AM

Thank you so much Cat for this pattern - I love squares and this will really show off the beautiful designs in the Summer Breeze by Moda fabric. I am really excited to make your quilt design. I will post a picture when it is completed.

carslo 03-02-2012 08:49 AM

Cat I was going to leave a positive feedback for your kindness but that is not possible only buy, sell or trade. If you would like some fat quarters for your kindness please PM me and I can get your snail mail and send you 4 fat quarters fro your help with this and then I can leave feedback!!