Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Supreme Slide (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/supreme-slide-t231600.html)

evelyn5269 10-02-2013 12:19 PM

Supreme Slide

I saw this in Leah Day's videos. Sounds good in theory except have to remove every time I need a new bobbin. Has anyone ever used this when machine quilting to make the quilt slide better.
Thanks,
Evelyn in Sequim WA

BellaBoo 10-02-2013 12:31 PM

I use it. I have two, each a different brand but seems the same to me. I can reach my bobbin underneath the extension table though. One tip, if it gets linty or not sticking like new run it under tap water and pat dry.

Jingle 10-02-2013 12:33 PM

Yes, I bought the small one and thought it was a pain. Same with the bobbin washers she sells. I wished I would have saved my money. Wearing gloves even cheap gardening gloves helps move the quilt enough to suit me. Just my experience with those two items.

SueSew 10-02-2013 12:49 PM

I had a regular slider which stopped sticking and somehow got caught into the back of my quilting LOL. Oops shoulda cleaned it.
Now I have a SuperSlider and I do think it is slipperier, but I am not good enough at FMQ to know if it makes a difference. My Aunt Grace used to say. A poor workman always blames his tools... well, not me, I blame me, not the slider.

And yes it does get thoroughly irritating to change a bobbin. I make a point of putting in a full one before I start.

But bobbin washer? LOL I've been quilting almost 3 years. Are my bobbins dirty?

BellaBoo 10-02-2013 12:55 PM

I can tell a big difference using the Bobbin Genies. You have to take the tension spring out of the bobbin case for them to do their job. They stop static build up with metal bobbins in metal bobbin cases. One thing I noticed using the slider is my extension table does not get scratches. I leave the slider on for piecing. I cut the needle hole bigger. I guess I think differently, when I buy something that I don't like how it works, I don't feel like I wasted my money. I want to know if something works for me or not. That's why I bought it to find out. That's why I have two brands of Sliders, I wanted to see the difference. :)

nygal 10-02-2013 01:06 PM

I got one for last Christmas but haven't used it yet.

LivelyLady 10-02-2013 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 6326664)
Yes, I bought the small one and thought it was a pain. Same with the bobbin washers she sells. I wished I would have saved my money. Wearing gloves even cheap gardening gloves helps move the quilt enough to suit me. Just my experience with those two items.

That was my experience, too.

thimblebug6000 10-02-2013 01:47 PM

I was at retreat this past weekend & a lady was machine quilting and had flannel as the backing. She was really fighting it, and her table partner offered to lend her the slider.... it was amazing to see how much slicker it was for her. I don't have one myself but think it would be a good thing to try. Although I would have the bobbin problem as I have a top loader. hmmmm.

suern3 10-02-2013 03:17 PM

I use mine whenever I'm FMQ-ing. I don't find that it's a big deal when changing bobbins since I have to move everything anyway. I just kind of roll it back out of the way. I also have to remove the sewing table insert so that's just how my quilting goes:) I think it does help take the drag off the quilt. And yes I did sew it to my quilt a little at one point so now I use painters tape to hold it in place. After reading this though, I'll try cleaning it, maybe that's all it needed. I haven't found a need for the bobbin washers with my Pfaff, maybe because the bobbins are plastic. I do like the machinagers gloves better than the garden gloves I first tried. My hands don't sweat in them.

RST 10-02-2013 03:31 PM

I do like using a slider-- it makes a noticable difference in the smoothness of my fmq lines. I usually use a strip of painter's tape to anchor it along the front edge-- I tore one up a bit when it slipped and got caught in the needle.

If you find you're changing you bobbin way too often, one thing that can make a big difference is to switch to bottom line thread. It's quite fine, so you can load more on a bobbin. It leaves a nice texture on the backing, and I have no problems with the tension even when using a different weight for my upper thread. It is pricey -- but look at how many yards you are getting-- it's a lot on that roll, and well worth it to me.