Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sweater quilt ??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sweater-quilt-t317339.html)

Pats8e8 01-16-2022 08:10 AM

Sweater quilt ???

A friend asked if it would be possible to make a quilt from her late husband's sweaters. Have any of you done this? I have seen pillows made from sweaters, but not quilts. I think that if a fusible interfacing was ironed on the back of the sweaters before cutting, that it might work? Or if the sweater was sewn onto a backing, like maybe muslin?

Any thoughts that you have will be appreciated.

bearisgray 01-16-2022 08:23 AM

First, take a look at the sweaters to see what she wants you to work with.

My mom sewed together chunks of knits with a zigzag stitch so it ended up being more like a knitted afghan than a quilt made of woven fabric.

if the stretchiness of the knits are approximately the same, i would draw squares or rectangles on the fabric, then stay stitch on or inside the lines to prevent " un - knitting" - and then cut the pieces out. I would then overlap the pieces by 3/8 to 1/2 inch and use a multistage zigzag or serpentine stitch on the edges. Sew two seams.

juliasb 01-16-2022 08:26 AM

I have not made a full size 'quilt' with sweaters but have made a lap blanket for a memory afghan. I used a stabilizer to the back then used my serger to sew the pieces together. I made squares. I did not put a backing on the coverlet. It worked well, but I would not call it a quilt.

Mkotch 01-17-2022 03:29 AM

I have made a couple of scarves out of blocks cut from old cashmere sweaters. They were machine washed and dried before I cut the 6" squares. I then simply sewed them together without stablizer, making a long tube. The resulting scarves are really warm and cozy, and I think they would make a nice quilt with some batting in the middle. Not sure about other knits, though.

rjwilder 01-17-2022 04:59 AM

Due to the sentimental value of the sweaters I would decline. She may have something in mind that may not be possible and look like what she envisions. I'd offer to take a few and make pillow covers, use the sleeves as a bow tied in front. I've seen shirts done that way and the pillows were really cute.

quiltedsunshine 01-17-2022 05:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
You can make Denim Stars or Brick Work or Windows Denim Quilts with sweaters. The sweater piece gets wrapped inside the denim, so holds it from stretching or un-ravelling. If you wanted a softer quilt, you could use flannel instead of denim.

Tartan 01-17-2022 07:19 AM

You would need to know the sweater fiber content. Acrylic wools may melt or get stiff if you use a hot iron to back with a fusible. I have made a few things out of knit, I sewed a zig zag stitch around the edges of the shape before cutting.

Buckeye quilter 01-17-2022 07:24 PM

I've made some sweater quilts. Hope my picture uploads, we"ll see. Cashmere and wool will felt up when you wash them in hot water and dry them in a hot dryer. Then you can cut and sew then like fabric. I've only done 1 out of acrylic. I just used a wide enough seam and a short stitch. I think it's stayed together so far. It was made out of my dad's sweaters and 1 of them had my dad's name embroidered on it. I gave it to my brother and I think he's stored it away so nothing can desecrate it. lol

Oops! Just previewed my post and my pictures did not load.......now I have to read the directions.......((heavy sigh)))

Buckeye quilter 01-17-2022 08:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I believed I have figured out the picture thing. The pink and blue one is cashmere and the yellow and green one is acrylic.

Blondie~ 01-19-2022 06:01 PM

I too want to make a quilt from cashmere sweaters. Someday ..