Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Swithching Irons Can Be Dangerous (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/swithching-irons-can-dangerous-t25289.html)

Dix 09-14-2009 12:32 PM

I do not have trouble with my iron, only with my curling iron! I always forget to turn it off. I once blew a bunch of breakers on a river cruise ship because I plugged it in wrong. It is a wonder I was not put off the ship and became a German in the city of Passau!
Dix

mimisharon 09-14-2009 04:18 PM

Funny you should bring up irons...just had to replace mine today, too! I had one of the auto off but it sprang a leak. Spots all over the ironing board cover so I got another B & D auto shut off. I have my iron plugged into a surge protector and then into the wall. I shut the surge protector off every evening after ironing or finishing the sewing.

I sure didn't spend as much today as I did on the last one. I only had it for a year and a half. Crazy things just don't last long enough!!

Hugs,
Sharon

Mousie 09-14-2009 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
I always unplug mine. I heard that 40% of your electric bill is plugged in but not in use appliances (I kinda doubt it's that high) so I try to unplug most when they're not in use.

I was also raised by a worrying jewish aunt, so I can't run appliances (laundry, dishwasher) when I'm not home... I'm not sure exactly why, since I'm usually not near enough in the home to see if they explode, I just know that I CAN'T physically walk out of the house with things on... I've tried :shock:

me either, but, it's bc my parents house burned down, when they left the gas dryer on, and went to Disney World. The neighbor called me after she called the fire dept. and I was the one who had to interrupt their vacation :cry: The timer on the machine did not work to stop it, and it kept running and got hotter and hotter.

littlehud 09-14-2009 08:01 PM

Mine is an auto shut off, but all you have to do is move it and it heats back up. I'm always afraid the cats will bump it and I'll have a fire. I just unplug it after I am done with it. It just makes me feel safer.

dizzy 09-14-2009 09:21 PM

well folks i also learned my lesson to my daughter got remarried in nov.an i made what she wore for her wedding an sewed my grand son a pair of pants an me being the person i am I had to iron his pants so there was no rinkles in his pants.well we went next door for wedding an myson came back to house after it was over an I made a mistake an left my old iron an i was sewing at kitchen table an now i have a perminant hot spot on my dinner table. it' the shape of the iron. :? :?

harkness48 09-17-2009 06:45 AM

My iron gets switched on & off from a power strip. It is not a turn itself off model as I got sick of that kind always being off when I wanted it. Also on this power bar is a stand ott light, so when the iron is on, the light is on. Two good reasons for this, - it gives me better light at the board, & it lets me know not to forget to turn it off when not needed.

memephyl 09-17-2009 07:57 AM

My iron is an auto shut off too. I always unplug it when I have finished for the day. It does not have an off / on switch and when you dial it all the way down a red light stays lit and that makes me think it may not be all the way off. I am petrified that it may overheat and start a fire. You read these stories about coffee pots, toasters etc starting fires when not in use, so why not irons.

Yvonne 09-17-2009 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by harkness48
My iron gets switched on & off from a power strip. It is not a turn itself off model as I got sick of that kind always being off when I wanted it. Also on this power bar is a stand ott light, so when the iron is on, the light is on. Two good reasons for this, - it gives me better light at the board, & it lets me know not to forget to turn it off when not needed.

I do this very same thing. My iron does have an auto-shut-off but I don't trust it! The glowing light reminds me I'm not finished shutting down for the day until it's off. Good for my often absent mind! :lol:

Dkm 09-17-2009 09:34 AM

I also have the same type of iron as you described, and a friend HAD the same kind. She left hers plugged in and it caught on fire. Now I never leave mine plugged. Better safe than sorry.

Camping Betty 09-17-2009 09:45 AM

I bought a plug recepital to set on my table and I plug Iron,ott lamp, coffee warmer. when I stop sewing I just push the switch off. I too hated to unplug from the wall.