Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   T-Shirt Quilt - Rescue me! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/t-shirt-quilt-rescue-me-t293510.html)

clb7122 12-24-2017 04:39 AM

I have made t-shirt quilts with rubberized shirts and lots of other types of materials. I prep the shirts by ironing the backs with a stabilizer and than stitch the cut pieces together. I than use fleece on the back and stitch in the ditch thus avoiding stitching over the rubberized parts or the t-shirt. Since we live in the south, a heavy quilt is not needed and the fleece works really well. I am in the process of make one for our granddaughter and one for our grandson using this method. It also makes it easier to wash and keep clean. So maybe I am not a "real" quilter, but it really works well for me. Like you I have expensive machines and do not want to mess them up.

tucsonquilter 12-24-2017 04:54 AM

I’ve made about 5 T-shirt quilts. I prepare the shirts with fusible interfacing. I quilt on my domestic machine. I meander around the designs. I never quilt on top of them. You can do it just be careful.

Sewgood 12-24-2017 06:42 AM

I just made a king size t-shirt quilt for a boy who works for us. It had some rubberized designs on most of them. I ironed SF101 interfacing on the backs of all the shirts. Did a large meander over the whole thing and stitched on and off the designs with no problem. I stitched at 10 spi and didn't really slow down at all. Maybe it's the fact of the interfacing on the back of the shirts that make a difference. Good luck!

klswift 12-24-2017 06:47 AM

Yes, she can do it, but the quilting within the block will have to be something like an echo stitch. If it is a very large logo, you can hand tack areas or machine stitch SMALL designs in a black area. One of my kids had a lot of band's concert shirts and they had very large designs. I 'quilted' in the spaces when it was just the shirt and the interfacing and then did they real quilting as echo stitching when it was assembled.

paoberle 12-24-2017 07:48 AM

I tied my last t-shirt quilt and was very pleased with the results. That one before that I have quilted and there were large spaces with no quilting, which concerned me.

Teen 12-24-2017 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by klswift (Post 7968661)
Yes, she can do it, but the quilting within the block will have to be something like an echo stitch. If it is a very large logo, you can hand tack areas or machine stitch SMALL designs in a black area. One of my kids had a lot of band's concert shirts and they had very large designs. I 'quilted' in the spaces when it was just the shirt and the interfacing and then did they real quilting as echo stitching when it was assembled.

this is a great idea. I'm going to remember this quilting idea.

carol45 12-24-2017 01:23 PM

I recently made a t-shirt quilt and practically messed it up with those rubbery logos. HOWEVER! I posted to this board and a number of people suggested that I use waxed paper over the logos while I'm stitching on them, which I tried, and it worked PERFECTLY. It solved the problem completely!

Jingle 12-24-2017 09:14 PM

I haven't made a t-shirt quilt and never plan too.

meanmom 12-25-2017 06:43 AM

I have made several t shirt quilts. Not my favorite thing to make. I stitch right thru the rubberized logos all the time. I find I either cover them with waxed paper or tissue paper when I quilt the quilt. The foot doesn't want so slide over the rubber otherwise.

mengler 12-25-2017 08:54 AM

Rubberized

I did sitd in the sashing and simple straight line stitching in the blocks. Also used sf 101 to stabilize. Worked fine.