Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   T-shirt Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/t-shirt-quilt-t239142.html)

Allquilts 01-18-2014 06:07 PM

T-shirt Quilt

We have been thinking about doing a tshirt quilt from our old shirts. I have heard some mixed reviews on how these turn out. Has anyone here tried them? Was it successful? Downsides?

yel 01-18-2014 06:18 PM

i have made lots of them for graduation presents .....the kids love them ....they go together rather easy ...main thing that i found is to stabilize the shirts ,fuse-on something [there are a few options ] i tend to use a solid around the shirts and do bold borders ...that makes the shirts pop ......good luck

luvTooQuilt 01-18-2014 06:22 PM

test the stabilizers first to make sure its what you want.. theres a few out there.. some are thin and some are thick.. some are hard to sew thru as well.. so test first on scrap shirts..

Yardbird 01-18-2014 07:49 PM

I have a small tshirt quilt business. I use the too cool tshirt method www.toocooltshirtquilts.com (I have no affiliation with them) except that I back my t shirts with Pellon 906F Its just enough to make them stable yet thin enough as not too create a lot of bulk. Hope this helps

alisonquilts 01-18-2014 08:29 PM

I've made a few of them for customers - I wear out all my own T shirts! - and I have always backed the shirts with lightweight fusible. I do sashing around the shirts, and then an outer border around the outer layer of sashing (so the shirts are individually framed, and then the whole center is framed as well). I quilt each shirt with its own unique pattern and try to incorporate symbols, or elements that fit with the shirt's appearance, like a sports team's logo or mascot, or the motto of a university.

Have fun!

Alison

hray 01-18-2014 08:51 PM

I made a t-shirt quilt after my brother passed away, and gave it to my sister. Our brother had special needs, and for many years had attended an adult summer camp--and had t-shirts from every session, as well as many from travel, etc. I backed the logos with fusible light-weight interfacing and filled in irregular shapes (he also had logos from Special Olympics golf and bowling tournaments, etc.) with machine embroidery as appropriate.

I sashed, bordered, backed and bound the quilt with a red/maroon flannel, his favorite color, and tied it with maroon perle cotton. It was very special to all of us.

Allquilts 01-19-2014 02:45 PM

I'm planning on doing one out of lucky brand clothing shirts from my husband. Hes worse than me with clothes!

ManiacQuilter2 01-19-2014 02:58 PM

In the upper right corner on this site, enter T-shirt quilts in the white box and then click advance search. Make the selections that you want. Usually I click on POSTS. There you will find many pictures of T-shirt quilts to help inspire you. Just realize they become quite heavy the larger you make them. Good Luck !!

cedarvalleyquilts 01-19-2014 11:13 PM

I'm with charjones57...I also use Pellon 906F on the T-shirt quilts I make. Great stabilizer and easy to work with, both piecing and longarm quilting.

Christine

spark 01-20-2014 07:09 AM

I quilt the shirt panels in sections and put them together with sashing. This seems to make the heavy quilt easier to handle.