Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   T-shirt quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/t-shirt-quilts-t34567.html)

Cresha 01-19-2010 01:56 PM

Okay Ladies, I have a question. I have been asked to make 2 t-shirt quilts. I have never made one and plan to make a practice one first. I know I will need to put stabilizier on the t-shirt blocks themselves. My question is for the backing of the quilt do you use just regular cotton fabric? And what kind of batting do you use? I have only used Warm and Natural in my quilts because I like the weight and the way my quilts drape. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Quilt Mom 01-19-2010 02:03 PM

First you ought to do a search on t shirt quilts. I found several threads here already.

As to backing, cotton will do. When you stabilize the knits, you make possible the use of any backing. Some might be too heavy, though.

For batting, I have heard several different ideas. I think it is a personal preference thing.

Baywatch quilter 01-19-2010 02:14 PM

Research the Internet. There are many great sources. I've seen several t-shirt quilts that put no batting inside since they already have the t-shirt (layer one), iron on interfacing (layer two), and the backing. These without batt are particularly great for warm weather climes.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-19-2010 02:14 PM

do a search on here, and for backing use cotton.

wraez 01-19-2010 03:03 PM

I've been wanting to make on also and have been saving up shirts.

Somewhere I saw a photo of a t-shirt quilt and the gal used the backs of the t-shirts for the backing of the quilt. I thought it was a great idea and no waste.. The backing squares mostly didn't have any prints but on occasion did. Made for a really neat reversible quilt.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

beachlady 01-19-2010 03:20 PM

I am still working on one, and I have bought a good quality flannel for the backing, though I have enough to make it reversible with all the t-shirts he gave me.

Quiltsbybarb 01-19-2010 04:18 PM

I make a lot of T shirt quilts for customers. I found that I like a really light weight interfacing to back my T shirts. Then I either use a really thin polyester or my regular 50/50 Warm batting. Either works great. For a backing, I use a good cotton or flannel.
Remember these quilts are going to get a lot of use so be sure and use a good quality fabric for your backing.
My favorite way of quilting the T shirts quilts is just an all over meander. Very sturdy and looks nice.
Good luck. T shirt quilts are wonderful.

littlehud 01-20-2010 07:58 AM

I used cotton backing on mine and didn't want too heavy of batting. I think warm and natural would be great.

debbie17 01-20-2010 10:47 AM

For the backing I used a sheet that I no longer had a need for.

Christine Ryan 04-15-2010 03:12 AM

I, too, make t-shirts quilts for customers. I use Pellon 906F fusible backing, it's a nice weight, not too stiff. I have used many types and found this the best.

For backing a quilt, I always use cotton quilting fabric. Using the best fabric, to me, is the result of a quality product.

For batting I use a medium loft poly by Mountain Mist, it has a nice soft loft to it. I have used others but this seems to do the trick. T-shirt quilts can be quite heavy and the poly batting is very light. Just my preference.