Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Table for Singer Featherweight~~~Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/table-singer-featherweight%7E%7E%7Equestion-t152354.html)

dunster 09-12-2011 07:59 AM

Where do you live? I didn't go to the street fair this year, but I drove down to the post office to mail a pattern and had to take detours because the streets were closed off. It was one of our hottest days so far, so did that cut down on the number of people at the fair?

dreamer2009 09-12-2011 08:04 AM

live in Canby
scroll back...added a few pics.

didn't stop the crowds at all.
I did however send a very nice email to people running it that it
would be a much better idea if they did not run it the day before the Coburg show. That way they could build their show which is what they want to do according to a vendor I was speaking with.
2 shows with a tear down set up is to hard and people will save their money for the Coburg show.
we will see how it all gets done in the end...lol

amyjo 09-12-2011 08:15 AM

very nice looking card table. I still wouldn't take it apart. How about just setting it up next to the treadle so that you have more space to sew or quilt with whatever machine you want to use.

dreamer2009 09-12-2011 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by amyjo
very nice looking card table. I still wouldn't take it apart. How about just setting it up next to the treadle so that you have more space to sew or quilt with whatever machine you want to use.

the treadle is just the leg base.
that is why I was thinking of attaching the
other to the top.

ewecansew 09-12-2011 08:27 AM

Not sure, but that may just be the name of the card table. It doesn't say Singer on it. And if my memory serves me correct, Singer didn't actually have 'featherweight' in the name when the machines were manufactured. I will look when I get to work where my featherweight cart table is.

dreamer2009 09-12-2011 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by ewecansew
Not sure, but that may just be the name of the card table. It doesn't say Singer on it. And if my memory serves me correct, Singer didn't actually have 'featherweight' in the name when the machines were manufactured. I will look when I get to work where my featherweight cart table is.

that was why I tried to research.
I don't want to destroy it if it has a value.

traumaRN 09-12-2011 08:32 AM

What you posted pictures of is definitely Not a singer featherweight table. Those were manufactured by the singer company and had a serial number on them. They were wooden topped with metal base and had a cut out with a bracket underneath that supported the machine.

dunster 09-12-2011 08:45 AM

I have to agree that this table is probably not the official table made for the model 221 by Singer, and it may have even been made before the featherweight sewing machine was conceived, but it could have value to a collector. I wouldn't take it apart, at least not yet.

ewecansew is right that Singer never put the name 'featherweight' on their machines, but I'm not sure when they started calling the machine that. I looked at my FW card table, and there is nothing on the bottom except the serial number (stamped in) as far as identification. I don't think Singer let anyone else put advertizing on their products, and I *think* they made everything themselves. E.T. Burrowes was a company dating back to at least 1903 or thereabouts, and they did make things like this.

There is a gentleman on VintageSingers yahoo group who has researched the model 221 tables and put together several documents about them, available to group members. If you already belong to that group, you could contact him; if not, you could join; or if you don't want to join pm me and I will contact him for you. He might have information about this particular table if it was indeed made for a Singer featherweight.

dreamer2009 09-12-2011 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
I have to agree that this table is probably not the official table made for the model 221 by Singer, and it may have even been made before the featherweight sewing machine was conceived, but it could have value to a collector. I wouldn't take it apart, at least not yet.

ewecansew is right that Singer never put the name 'featherweight' on their machines, but I'm not sure when they started calling the machine that. I looked at my FW card table, and there is nothing on the bottom except the serial number (stamped in) as far as identification. I don't think Singer let anyone else put advertizing on their products, and I *think* they made everything themselves. E.T. Burrowes was a company dating back to at least 1903 or thereabouts, and they did make things like this.

There is a gentleman on VintageSingers yahoo group who has researched the model 221 tables and put together several documents about them, available to group members. If you already belong to that group, you could contact him; if not, you could join; or if you don't want to join pm me and I will contact him for you. He might have information about this particular table if it was indeed made for a Singer featherweight.

sending PM

valleyquiltermo 09-12-2011 08:50 AM

If it don't have the hole cut out for the machine then it is the extension table for the table that the machine fits into.