Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Table topper problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/table-topper-problem-t257316.html)

sewingsuz 11-24-2014 05:43 PM

Table topper problem

2 Attachment(s)
I purchased this at an auction and did not know these black streaks were on it until i got home. It is quilted beautiful but looks to me like the black lines where the preprinted for stitching bled when washed. I washed again with color catcher but nothing changed. Could anyone recommend what I could trim this with to cover this up or should I just cut one place and bind and make a tree skirt. Someone donated this to the auction to raise money for children in our area for clothes at christmas. I did not see this on here because it was folded when I viewed before the auction. People need to not bring items like this but there is nothing I can do now about it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]500125[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]500126[/ATTACH]

QuiltingHaven 11-24-2014 05:55 PM

Well, here is what I would do. I would make green or gold or black piping 1/2" and sew it down on all the lines that show and put a gold diamond in the middle. And your idea of a Christmas tree skirt is a good idea also. I would cut between two of the big squares and finish with covering the black lines (you could use gold shiny brick a braq also to cover the lines). Hope this helps.

sandyfullmer 11-24-2014 06:01 PM

I agree - I would make a strip and sew over each line. Too bad it happened but you can fix it up and no one will know.

mea12 11-24-2014 06:07 PM

there should be something to take that out but if not, i think a ribbon that matches as closely as possible the red background...and then go in w/ the same color thread and do a similar tight stipple on top of the ribbon. it would be subtle tonal effect that might even enhance it without detracting from it..tone-on-tone effect. Another option might be to applique 7 slender "pedals" to cover the marks w/ the same yellow square in the center. Add more petals and it could look like a pointsetta!

grammysharon 11-24-2014 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven (Post 6982989)
Well, here is what I would do. I would make green or gold or black piping 1/2" and sew it down on all the lines that show and put a gold diamond in the middle. And your idea of a Christmas tree skirt is a good idea also. I would cut between two of the big squares and finish with covering the black lines (you could use gold shiny brick a braq also to cover the lines). Hope this helps.

I agree, applique something to cover it up, by hand or machine!

Lori S 11-25-2014 05:53 AM

You could purchase the gold or black 1/4 inch bias tape that has the adhesive on the back , and stitch it over the area.

Ariannaquilts 11-25-2014 06:37 AM

We basically all agree that you should just put something over the lines.

Tartan 11-25-2014 07:26 AM

I would make an applique of a Mariner's Compass like star to add to the center and on the lines. I would then applique it by stitching right through the topper with a straight stitch along the turned under edge.

KalamaQuilts 11-25-2014 08:23 AM

they wouldn't bother me, but if they did I'd add rick rack over the top of them or make strips with my bias maker dealies and applique them on.

joyce blint 11-25-2014 08:24 AM

Be careful in covering the lines that you don't make it too thick. If you're planning on setting something in the center of it, you don't want it to wobble.