Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tablerunner makers: Do your cats sleep on them??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tablerunner-makers-do-your-cats-sleep-them-t103260.html)

cbjlinda 02-27-2011 04:31 AM

Also if you want to keep them off of certain surfaces carry a spray bottle filled with water and when they get onto something you don't want them on spray them and tell them nooooooo they are really very intelligent animals..

cbjlinda 02-27-2011 04:31 AM

Most cats loveeeeeeee to have a place all their own in front of a window that they can look out of. you can put a trunk or something in front of a window and lay a pillow on top of it and that should keep your kitty off of the other beauties. Now you must realize that their curiousity is a thing of nauture and they are going to check out each thing that is new that comes into your house. mine always get down on the floor or on the bed (these days) to help me baste my quilts.

jcrilley 02-27-2011 04:42 AM

try using a mouse trap - unbaited of course. They will set it off without getting caught but the snap intimidates them. I have done this on counter tops too. Love my cats but don't want them on food surfaces!

gal288 02-27-2011 05:12 AM

My cats will find a quilt to nap on whereever they can. I found 1 there other day in my linen closet fast asleep. I had neglected to shut the door completely, she found her way in. Good thing I had to put sheets away later, she would have been trapped.

sew_sew 02-27-2011 05:26 AM

I've had lots of cat's through the years and always had sucess shooting a stream of water at them to teach them to stay off the tables and counters. I really think it has to be a hard stream and in their face is besst. LOL some will run the second they see the spray bottle. They hate it in there face especially.

SuzanneG 02-27-2011 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
If you make a special place for them to lay they will leave the others alone; at least mine do.

Lucky you! :D My cats go pretty much where they want, when they want! LOL And while my cats aren't allowed on my kitchen table, they will break that rule the moment I put a table runner on it. :D

SuzanneG 02-27-2011 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by sew_sew
I've had lots of cat's through the years and always had sucess shooting a stream of water at them to teach them to stay off the tables and counters. I really think it has to be a hard stream and in their face is besst. LOL some will run the second they see the spray bottle. They hate it in there face especially.

Speaking as a veterinary technician, I'd just like to say that using a spritzer bottle of room temp water is a good deterent for cats, but please, no hard streams in the face. We've seen cats with eye injuries from this and it's so avoidable. A soft mist of water will work just as well to deter your cat. It's not the force of the water that bothers them, it's the water itself. Before you spritz, shake the bottle once or twice quickly. Then soon, you won't even have to spritz, you can just shake the bottle and they'll run. But please - no hard sprays for the safety of your kitties.

j 02-27-2011 06:18 AM

How about PUPPY laying there as if he were the centerpiece, we have to tilt the chairs.- J.

LindaJR 02-27-2011 06:18 AM

Cats like to be up high, so if you have room for a cat tower all the better. Then he/she can look down on you as you do whatever you are doing. You have to put it where you spend a lot of time. Mine would follow me even when I would tell them, just going to bathroom will be right back. Open bathroom door and they would be sitting or laying outside the door.
Didyou ever noitce the dark colored cats will sleep or lay on light colored fabric and vise versa with light colored cats?

Baloonatic 02-27-2011 06:52 AM

Make a runner for the cat, place it on the area you WANT her on!
Cats and quilts, they just go together...God made 'em that way, ain't nothing you can do about it!