Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tabletop Cover (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tabletop-cover-t308953.html)

LifeLovePassion 01-03-2020 07:02 AM

Tabletop Cover

I am re-purposing a vintage rolltop desk into a quilting/sewing/crafting desk. I am removing the upper rolltop and am left with a 30" x 60" surface. The desk itself is in a bit of rough condition, so I am thinking of putting either a large Martelli cutting mat on the whole surface, or else some plexiglass. What would be your preference? Is there a better material choice than one of these 2 options?
If I go with plexiglass, I already have a 24"x 36" cutting mat I could put on and off of the surface as needed.
If I go with a cutting mat, I have other mats I could put down when using ink or paint to protect the cutting surface.

Thanks and cheers to a crafty new year!

Krisb 01-03-2020 08:52 AM

How about you have them cut the plexiglass 30x60, with a beveled cutout for the mat?

LifeLovePassion 01-03-2020 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Krisb (Post 8347005)
How about you have them cut the plexiglass 30x60, with a beveled cutout for the mat?

The only problem is that the cutting mats vary in thickness so if I have to swap it later, I might run into trouble replacing it. That is a consideration though so I will have to do some measuring. Thank you!

osewme 01-04-2020 12:44 PM

Have you considered using two different surfaces? Maybe you could use the plexiglass for the area under your sewing machine & then use a cutting mat for the area beside your machine for cutting your fabric. A 30"x60" piece of plexiglass could get really expensive depending on the thickness you want.

juliasb 01-04-2020 12:58 PM

I can't help you out with the surfacing issue but this project sounds wonderful. Pictures please when it is completed.

The Quilted Cottage 01-04-2020 05:26 PM

This sounds like a project I could love. Will you be sanding and staining or painting the desk? I like the plexiglass idea if you are refinishing it but if not, you may not like looking at the top surface if it's worn. Unless you like that look. Formica counter top material cleans up well, too. Sometimes you can find smaller remnant type pieces at the big box stores. My sewing machine counter and cutting table are formica. I had them made to size with a rolled edge. Much easier on the arms when resting against the edges to sew.

Good luck and post pics of your finished project!

IowaStitcher 01-12-2020 08:23 AM

But don't get rid of the parts you are removing! We looked hard for a couple parts for ours years ago-had to finally make them. There will be someone out ther wanting them to restore a desk they have.

LifeLovePassion 01-16-2020 06:07 PM

For now, I am not putting the roll top back on. I am also unsure what to do with the cubbies and drawers that go on the top for now. I ended up buying an extra large cutting mat to cover the top. I will try to get a pic over the weekend