Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Taking my first quilting class this weekend.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/taking-my-first-quilting-class-weekend-t196306.html)

Stitch124 07-31-2012 04:02 AM

Taking my first quilting class this weekend....

Any advice you can offer to this newbie would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Stitch124:shock:

woody 07-31-2012 04:04 AM

Relax and have fun!!!

gollytwo 07-31-2012 04:06 AM

Make sure you ask what supplies you need to have with you.
Hope you have a wonderful time and learn a lot.

helou 07-31-2012 04:07 AM

No advice.... have fun and learn what you can because quilting in my opinion is a constinuous learning process!!!

BellaBoo 07-31-2012 04:17 AM

I have taken many classes and workshops. Some were great some were horrible. The first class is important and will set your mind to all classes. Keep watch over any quilting tools you have if you share with others. Don't take your best or most loved tools. I don't do this even at guild classes.

Have fun and keep an open mind about how you think a quilt class should be and how it really is.

pinkberrykay 07-31-2012 05:03 AM

First off HAVE FUN
Label all your tools so you leave with all of them
Make sure your sewing machine is threaded and has a full bobbin
get a supply list and make sure you have everything ready to go.
Make sure your fabric is ironed and starched
Make sure to ask questions when you have them
HAVE FUN!!!

Raggiemom 07-31-2012 05:03 AM

Make sure you have basic sewing supplies--seam reaper, pins, scissors, extra needle for machine. I assume you were given a list of supplies to bring. I usually take a bottle or two of water plus a granola bar. Have fun!

dunster 07-31-2012 07:18 AM

Make sure to take your sewing machine's power cord and foot control. I've been at several classes where someone forgot one or the other.

If you are not familiar with your sewing machine, get familiar with it before class. But just in case, take the manual along. (Again, one lady appeared in class with a brand new sewing machine, no idea how to thread it or wind a bobbin.)

You might want a cushion to sit on too. Some classrooms don't have comfortable chairs, or you may want to sit a little higher.

Above all, have fun.

And if the teacher is doing something new to you, don't insist on doing it the way you already know how - you're there to learn her technique and can revert to your old ways later if hers don't work for you.

PaperPrincess 07-31-2012 09:57 AM

At one of the places I take my classes they request that you get there 15 minutes early to get your machine set up and you all settled. This way the actual teaching can start on time. even if not requested, this is a good practice.
As stated before, label everything. I label the plug end of my machine power cord so that if I need to unplug at any time, I know which one to pull.

thepolyparrot 07-31-2012 10:22 AM

Getting there a bit early is a great idea.

Make yourself a checklist and actually check things off as you put them into your bag.

Don't take too much stuff.

Learn all you can, but don't take it too seriously and have a good time! :)