Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Taking a sewing machine on a plane (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/taking-sewing-machine-plane-t245235.html)

quiltingfever 04-16-2014 06:18 AM

I agree with everyone else here, if it is an expensive machine I would not take it on the plane but get or use a smaller less expensive one in case something bad happened to it.

Peckish 04-16-2014 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz (Post 6677704)
Actually, Bonnie's experience was with a carryon that they made her gate-check at the last minute because the plane was full.

Sorry - I guess I wasn't clear about Bonnie's intentions. The bottom line is the machine somehow ended up in the belly of the plane and was destroyed.

If you have a small enough machine, you can put it in the overhead or under the seat in front of you.

DebraK 04-16-2014 07:00 AM

you're a nut ;-)

ManiacQuilter2 04-16-2014 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Auntie V (Post 6677421)
Check with the airlines. With all of the new rules I doubt they will let you take it.

I haven't travel much so I don't know what the current rules are. I would call your airline to get the exact size of underneath your seat. I never had a problem with my old Singer but that was back in the 70s and the 80s when there was a lot more room.

Annie Pearl 04-16-2014 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 6677369)
What are you going to be working on? If it's just piecing, would get a small 'take to class' machine. I would probably get it from AllBrands and just have it shipped to my sister's house. Save all the packaging and when you are ready to return, repack & ship it back. It's worth the price of shipping not to have to deal with it on the flight.
Another option would be look for a used machine when you get there, and leave it for your sister.
I personally would not try to carry a machine on, especially an expensive one.

I think this is the best option so far.

luvstoquilt301 04-16-2014 08:13 AM

I take mine all the time on Southwest. I have a rolling bag that fits under the seat.

AnnieSue 04-16-2014 08:21 AM

Maybe your sister needs a sewing machine for Christmas.

quiltstringz 04-16-2014 08:26 AM

I have taken my featherweight many times with no issue. I have laid it on it's side and at the time it fit under the seat. I am thinking it still would but would double check.

loisf 04-16-2014 08:54 AM

I've taken my 12 pound Janome Jem to Hawaii twice. I saved all the original packaging, repacked the machine and put it, along with a bunch of fabric, into a piece of luggage that I checked. I figured if it came from Asia originally in that packaging, it would survive a trip to Hawaii. I've had no trouble. I couldn't take it as a carry-on because I had a computer to take along too.

Skyangel 04-16-2014 11:25 AM

I flew with my little Elna Lotus down to Florida last October as DH was going to a class and I was stuck in the hotel room with no car all week. It's small enough to fit under the seat so I just packed it into a carryon bag, well padded. I had to take it out when going through security, but no issues. I also took a quilt that was already cut out, a cutting mat (18" x 24" fits flat in carryon) and the other necessary items. We shared one checked bag so my sharp stuff (rotary cutter, scissors, ect.) went in there. I got a lot done on it as well as had pool time when the sun was out.