Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Talk about stinky Cutting Boards (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/talk-about-stinky-cutting-boards-t33596.html)

Up North 01-08-2010 02:18 PM

Today I went to Joannes to spend money that I got for Christmas- (I did that and some) I wanted a smaller cutting mat for when I go to my sons for a couple weeks. I picked up a Fiskars blue one wrapped in plastic. When I got to the cutting counter I could smell something so Opened it and Boy did it stink! I put it back and found a different kind of Fiskars (yellow)that didn't smell. I told the clerk and she said they had problems in the spring and people returned them but not since, I had her smell it and she said "Oh my that is awful" I hope they send that batch back! Please open your mat before you purchase it and give it a sniff test! It smelled like Skunk!

oksewglad 01-08-2010 02:20 PM

What would cause a mat to smell? Any ideas?

littlehud 01-08-2010 02:27 PM

Nothing worse than a stinky cutting board.

Marjpf 01-08-2010 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
What would cause a mat to smell? Any ideas?

Since they are made from a type of plastic, it could be a contaminate in the batch. Or maybe the blue one's always stink?

sewnsewer2 01-08-2010 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
Today I went to Joannes to spend money that I got for Christmas- (I did that and some) I wanted a smaller cutting mat for when I go to my sons for a couple weeks. I picked up a Fiskars blue one wrapped in plastic. When I got to the cutting counter I could smell something so Opened it and Boy did it stink! I put it back and found a different kind of Fiskars (yellow)that didn't smell. I told the clerk and she said they had problems in the spring and people returned them but not since, I had her smell it and she said "Oh my that is awful" I hope they send that batch back! Please open your mat before you purchase it and give it a sniff test! It smelled like Skunk!

Is your mat pink on one side and yellow on the other? I saw one at wally world and wanted to know if it is a good one.

ByThePiece 01-08-2010 05:05 PM

A few years ago I bought a bath mat at Wal-Mart (mainstays) and it smelled so foul it stunk up the bathroom. I put it outside and it stunk up the back yard. It stunk up the car before I could take it aback, but I took it back and bought a rubbermaid, that smelled fine.

Up North 01-08-2010 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2

No it is a self heling mat yellow on both sides.

Is your mat pink on one side and yellow on the other? I saw one at wally world and wanted to know if it is a good one.

sewnsewer2 01-08-2010 06:03 PM

Thanks up north.

cumberlandquiltchick 01-08-2010 06:29 PM

CHEMICALS! That really scares me.... I'm sure most of it is from China. well, we can't do anything about that. However, thanks for the tip for inspecting things before we buy because I'm sure once used they can't be returned. Sandra

Oklahoma Suzie 01-09-2010 04:00 AM

I'm glad you put it back.