Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tangled mess (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tangled-mess-t266665.html)

Onebyone 06-21-2015 09:21 AM

My top loading washer has no agitator and has a hand wash cycle, more gentle then the delicate cycle. Just very gentle swishing. No raveling at all. One of the reasons I bought it. DH and my clothes don't get dirty enough to need agitating action anyway.

Mitch's mom 06-21-2015 10:26 AM

I used to serge the raw ends, now I wash it and clip the loose threads as soon as I take it from the washer before I dry it. This way it isn't all tangled together and making a really big mess that will be difficult to press.

Melanie Rudy 06-21-2015 10:48 AM

To prevent tangling, use a wide 4mm length zig-zag on the raw ends if you like to prewash your fabric. I normally do not prewash the fabric, but always wash quilts before using them. Fabric is chemically treated. You will now notice that a lot of clothing tags also tell you to wash before wearing.

FabStripper 06-21-2015 10:54 AM

I fold my fabric in half like it comes off the bolt when I buy it and then in half again so its about 11 inches tall. I put pins about every foot and do this for the whole length of the cloth I'm washing. I wash it and dry it that way then just rotary cut a little edge off each end. It works for me to keep it untangled and I can use it pretty much right away then.

ghostrider 06-21-2015 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf (Post 7233641)
I have always washed the fabrics on the gentle cycle and have not had a lot of tangles.

Same here. It's the agitation of a long, overloaded wash cycle that causes ravels and knots fabric. I use the gentle cycle and never have a problem. No need to serge, clip, pink, zigzag, fanfold, join raw edges together or anything else. Clip any long threads before you toss in the dryer and you're good to go. No wrinkles, no ravels when done, but few people believe it's that simple. Works for all sizes from fat quarters to over 10 yards. Fast, economical, and worry free. :)

DogHouseMom 06-21-2015 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 7233431)
I just wash/dry; deal with the tangles. Really doesn't bother me all that much. Just get out my snips and start clipping. Takes less time to snip off the mess than dealing with prepping the fabric for no mess!

Pretty much the same thing here, and I keep a small scissors in the laundry room for this task. I have been able to reduce it to *most* of the time I don't have too much fray to worry about ....

I wash on a delicate cycle
I only wash 1/2 yard cuts or larger in the washing machine. Anything smaller gets washed in the kitchen sink, then dried in the dryer.

luvstoquilt 06-21-2015 12:50 PM

One of my favorite stores gave me a great tip. I fold the fabric width wise and about 1/2 to 3/4 of a yard the other way. Pin the edges with safety pins and wash. It comes out of the dryer still folded and easy to cut off any threads. No more jumbled mess!

just_the_scraps_m'am 06-21-2015 04:39 PM

i only wash what i am going to use right away -- otherwise, it's just busy work -- right?

twinkie 06-22-2015 04:16 AM

Pinking the edges is what I do

romanojg 06-22-2015 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gay (Post 7233371)
Do you have an overlocker/serger? Or would zigzagging the edges work for you? assuming you mean washing before cutting into pieces.

This is my suggestion, if no serger then do a small zigzag around the fabric before washing.