Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Teaching Children to Sew -- What about Cutting and Pressing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/teaching-children-sew-what-about-cutting-pressing-t206960.html)

jeank 11-26-2012 11:36 AM

My grand daughter sews beautifully, she has made 2 twin quilts and 2 smaller ones. This summer was the first time I allowed her to use a rotary cutter, at age 14.

I told her to count her fingers, and she needed to have that many when it is done. She thought that was funny.

It was to stress how dangerous the tool is. I taught her to close it when laying it down, and I also had her use the Fons and Porter Klutz glove on her left hand. It is cut resistant, not cut proof.

She did a nice job, oh, and had all her fingers left. LOL

bearisgray 11-26-2012 11:46 AM

My granddaughters started using my rotary cutters while they were still playing with Barbie dolls - maybe 8 to 10 - it wasn't exactly with my permission, but they actually did okay with them

I actually remember being excited to be able to iron - I was started on hankies - I was maybe 8 or so - and then moved to aprons. And then the horrible starched things with ruffles or puffed sleeves!

bearisgray 11-26-2012 11:59 AM

I'm thinking that we let our kids take gymnastics, play hockey, ride motorized trikes/bikes when they can barely walk - and we worry about letting them use hot or sharp tools.

I think a lot depends on the child - and it's important to teach the person HOW to use the tool.

cabbagepatchkid 11-26-2012 06:47 PM

When I was growing up I learned to cut fabric with scissors because there weren't any rotary cutters. I still think that is the way I would go when showing a child to sew.

I learned to iron by ironing my father and brother's handkerchiefs, too....:)....I was probably around 8 or 9 yrs old. It doesn't take long for anyone to learn to keep their fingers away from the edge of the iron!!!!

QuiltnNan 11-27-2012 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid (Post 5681960)
...I learned to iron by ironing my father and brother's handkerchiefs, too....:)....I was probably around 8 or 9 yrs old. It doesn't take long for anyone to learn to keep their fingers away from the edge of the iron!!!!

this is so true!

HillCountryGal 11-27-2012 05:04 AM

Agree with those that suggest having the kids use scissors at first.

Thinking of Jeff Foxworthy here... if they burn themselves with the iron, they will only do it once. ;) When my daughter was little (pre-school age) she was using scissors and an iron under close supervision. No problems.

lillybeck 11-27-2012 05:28 AM

A couple of yrs ago I had four of my GDs make a strip QAYG doll quilt. We used scissors and large scraps. They turned out great. I posted them when they finished. This past June we make tissue holders and pillows plus one made a pillowcase dress.