Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Teaching Children (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/teaching-children-t180.html)

Suz 11-30-2006 03:35 PM

Is anyone out there teaching children?
I am involved in the 4H program here in Pennsylvania. I have four young ladies (9-10 year old) who are third years. Their project is the Ohio Star pillow. And I have two first years (8-9) who are making four half-square triangles into a wallhanging.
We meet for 1-1/2 hrs on Saturday mornings. I have an adult helper and two sewing machines.
The girls are eager and they are like little sponges. We play fabric store where they search for a focus fabric and them match in. When I took them to a quilt shop, I cut them loose and they did a great job in a real shopping situation. I am teaching all of the terms as we go. They are too young to use the rotary cutter, but they watch as I explain what I am doing.
Obviously, I love working with my little folks. Each one should teach one. Blessings, Suzanne

Minda 11-30-2006 05:36 PM

Hi Suz, I don't work with a group of children but I am teaching my 8 year old granddaughter, Elizabeth, to quilt. She is so eager to learn. Our local fabric shop does a BOM where you go to the shop the first Saturday of each month and watch a demo on how to do different techniques. It costs $5.00 to sign up and each quilter gets fabric and instructions for 1 free block each month. Elizabeth is going to go with me next year. She's very excited. I think it's great that you're teaching the 4H group.

gr8tchr4u 12-06-2006 09:35 AM

Hi,

Aren't children great? I love them...don't have any of my own yet.

I don't think your kiddos are too young for the rotary cutter - if you show them proper safety rules. It would be great to use up some scraps by letting them make a free-form crazy quilt.

Enjoy! I recall the lady who taught me how to sew - it was the highlight of our week! :)

lorie 01-21-2010 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Suz
Is anyone out there teaching children?
I am involved in the 4H program here in Pennsylvania. I have four young ladies (9-10 year old) who are third years. Their project is the Ohio Star pillow. And I have two first years (8-9) who are making four half-square triangles into a wallhanging.
We meet for 1-1/2 hrs on Saturday mornings. I have an adult helper and two sewing machines.
The girls are eager and they are like little sponges. We play fabric store where they search for a focus fabric and them match in. When I took them to a quilt shop, I cut them loose and they did a great job in a real shopping situation. I am teaching all of the terms as we go. They are too young to use the rotary cutter, but they watch as I explain what I am doing.
Obviously, I love working with my little folks. Each one should teach one. Blessings, Suzanne

Ido!! I do!!! I have three daughters and one dtrs best friend. So three teens and a 7year old, who has been quilting for 2 yrs. :thumbup: