Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Teaching my neighbor to quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/teaching-my-neighbor-quilt-t211415.html)

DogHouseMom 01-19-2013 01:49 PM

Teaching my neighbor to quilt

I gave my neighbors a quilt for Christmas. She asked me if it was easy to quilt ... all the usual questions, and also asked if I would be willing to teach/help her. Of course I would!! She also said that she had "some pieces of fabric" that her deceased aunt had "put together" and she wanted to do something with them.

Well today I needed to spray baste a quilt and I needed a second pair of hands. So I told her "today is your first lesson, but first you have to help me" :) We got the quilt spray basted and sandwiched - yeah! (I've been waiting for the weather to break so I could do it outdoors). She brought over the "pieces" that her deceased aunt left her that she wants to use to learn how to quilt.

Grandmothers Fans!!! 25 blocks were complete but another set of 20 needed the pie in the corner. I get to teach a new quilter how to sew inset circles as her first lesson!!! Lucky me!!!

Actually ... she did quite well!

At one point before we started sewing I asked her when she last cleaned/oiled/used her machine. She said she hadn't used it for over 20 years because it was 'broke' and said she wanted to get a new machine. I told her to hold off on buying a new one until she was sure she liked sewing. I have a very basic 1983 Sears Kenmore that I was not using, had been completely serviced 4 years ago - just needed dusting off and a re-application of oil a and good running. If she decided she liked sewing and wanted more bells and whistles, or decided she didn't like sewing at all - then please return it to me. If she liked sewing and wanted to keep that machine ... it's hers. I set it up, oiled it, ran it and it still sews a beautiful stitch. It always was a nice machine!!

I hope she enjoys it!! Next Saturday I get to take her shopping for some fabric to finish the center pie's in the fans that are missing them. Ooooo ... hold me back!!

jjsnacks 01-19-2013 01:53 PM

it's kind of you to help your neighbour & sounds like you have been having some fun .....jj

QuiltnMyra 01-19-2013 01:57 PM

What a lovely story DogHouseMom. Sounds like the beginning of a wonderful journey for you both.

Peckish 01-19-2013 02:14 PM

Wooo hooo got another quilter hooked! Good job!! Have lots of fun!!

sewingsuz 01-19-2013 02:22 PM

Show us pictures when she gets done. Please

ArtsyOne 01-19-2013 02:30 PM

Definitely post a picture of the fans quilt - how lucky she is to have them and to have you show her how to complete the quilt. I have an old Kenmore too (1973) and it is my primary machine for piecing and quilting - it will be just great for her.

QuiltE 01-19-2013 04:24 PM

What a great neighbour you are, DHMom!
And what a pleasant surprise to discover as the first project with your friend and neighbour.

ITA ... photos please! :)

mighty 01-19-2013 04:50 PM

That sounds like great fun!!!!

DogHouseMom 01-19-2013 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 5797864)
I have an old Kenmore too (1973) and it is my primary machine for piecing and quilting - it will be just great for her.

It is really a great machine, basic but great. I'm glad shes being used. I will post pic's when shes done a bit.

Grannyh67 01-19-2013 06:01 PM

you are a great persom, it was a nice thing to do to let Her use and have if She chooses to the machine. I would love to have a neighbor to quilt with. Mine can but don't want to, lol....just my luck.