Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Teaching (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/teaching-t203922.html)

QandE2010 10-22-2012 06:14 AM

Teaching

I was reading another thread and i had this thought that I will share.
When you teach a new quillter or explain a procedure, do you assume that quilter has some level of knowledge?
Let me tell you a story about an experience in the business world that I apply to the quilting world (it can apply to all walks of life.) I went to work as an underwriters trainee at a large insurance company and was a novice. My boss (teacher) tried to teachh me the basics like I was in "high school", but I really was only in kindergarten. Almost all she was trying to teach me was way over my head. It was very frustrating, to say the least. I learned the required knowledge and became very proficient in my field, (no thanks to my boss) but the whole process was so painful and no fun.
So when I teach, I get down to the student's level and teach from there. I am more apt to be very explicit, and not assume the student is familiar with the subject. Take pressing vs ironing. It is amazing the number of students that do not know the difference. Or the difference of straight of grain vs on the bias. That being said, I will tell the student to stop me if they already know the subject. If they say they already know, I'll ask them to explain it to me, so I know that they know.
I try not to talk down to the student, and I use a lot of self deprecating humorous, so they don't feel stupid or inferior.
So I ask again: When teaching or explaining a procedure, how do you effectively do that?

QuiltE 10-22-2012 06:31 AM

You know what happens when you ASS-U-ME!

Though there is a fine line between going to the bottom level of basics and starting above.
Going too low can be insulting to the student and create a block in the learning path.

A good teacher is able to source out the abilities and level without insult, injury and intimidation.

gollytwo 10-22-2012 06:35 AM

I just begin by talking about quilting and check in along the way that she understands.

NanaCsews2 10-22-2012 06:46 AM

Can I relate! My last job, which didn't last long because it was never intended to but I didn't know that and that is a whole other story, gave me frustration to no end. I have office experience and skills. I was placed in a position to learn skills that someone in engineering should know, and have a degree for. I was being taught the office computer part of it. But there was nothing more frustrating not knowing why I was doing what I was. No background info, no lessons, teachings, books, courses. No resources that gave me the background of the position to allow me to make sense of the computer work involved. And it isn't that I didn't ask. It was assumed I should know engineering and HVAC. I inherited the need to know why in order to get results. I am a learn by doing and watching kinda gal. So I learned this when showing others what I know. There is nothing worse than 'dumbing someone down'. I hate it when I am treated that way, I would never do that to others.
How do you effectively teach another? By first asking what is their best way to learn. Take the frustration out of it right away.

Tashana 10-22-2012 08:50 AM

My pottery teacher asked everybody to introduce themselves and say what kind of experience with pottery they had. Since there were a few of us who did not even touch the clay she started from the scratch. She gave us novices more attention while letting the more experienced students practice more complex forms. While novices were working on the basics she would consult with more experienced students. She was a great teacher. I kept taking her into class for years because the advanced class was not at a good time for me. I learned something new every time even in my last class when I was confident to call myself an experienced potter.

QandE2010 10-22-2012 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5603555)
You know what happens when you ASS-U-ME!

Though there is a fine line between going to the bottom level of basics and starting above.
Going too low can be insulting to the student and create a block in the learning path.

A good teacher is able to source out the abilities and level without insult, injury and intimidation.

I agree whole heartedly.

nativetexan 10-22-2012 10:21 AM

yep, people all learn things differently too. what makes sense to one may not make sense to another. I always stated things at least in two different ways. worked well.

QandE2010 10-22-2012 10:21 AM

Nanacsews2, I agree with the 'dumbing down' statement, too. It is downright insulting.

QandE2010 10-22-2012 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tashana (Post 5603875)
My pottery teacher asked everybody to introduce themselves and say what kind of experience with pottery they had. She gave us novices more attention while letting the more experienced students practice more complex forms. While novices were working on the basics she would consult with more experienced students. She was a great teacher. I learned something new every time even in my last class when I was confident to call myself an experienced potter.

And I'll bet you retained a lot of what you learned because of her style & patience.

QandE2010 10-22-2012 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5604121)
yep, people all learn things differently too. what makes sense to one may not make sense to another. I always stated things at least in two different ways. worked well.

I am a visual learner myself. Tell me and I'll retain. Very little, show me and I'll retain more, helpnme do it myself and I'll retain the most.