Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tee shirt quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tee-shirt-quilt-top-t211812.html)

ktbb 02-03-2013 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi (Post 5834500)
I have used both cotton and jersey in a quilt with a cotton batt. I interface with Tricot (a knit fusible interfacing I buy at JoAnns) but I have friends who have used a light weight non woven fusible with good result. Here is a picture of one of my quilts.

I agree with Beth on the use of the fusible Tricot from JoAnns - just put the stretch of the tricot sideway/perpendicular to the stretch on the t-shirt material - keeps it soft and won't wear as fast.

dcamarote 02-03-2013 09:26 AM

I did my first one last year and am starting another one next week. These are for my friends GD's. It was not hard. Just make sure you get a good stabilizer for the back of the t shirts. There are lots of free patterns on line and that is how I chose mine. And remember, don't iron on the top of the t shirts. The writing or pics will smear. Good luck.

maryb119 02-03-2013 09:58 AM

To make a tee shirt quilt, cut the whole front off a tee shirt. Then fuse a lightweight fusable interfacing to the back. Some prefer a woven interfacing, or a tricot interfacing with the knit lines going side to side and the tee shirt knit line going up and down but I prefer a light weight non woven Pelon. After the interfacing is fused on the back, then and only then, cut the tee shirts the size blocks you want then. Then, add sashing between the blocks and machine quilt it. I like to use just an overall stipple pattern to quilt it. I have made several quilt and hanve another one to make for my son's high school graduation in May. They are fun to make and they are one of a kind for the person recieveing them.

valleyquiltermo 02-03-2013 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5810215)
With or without stabilizer a T-shirt quilt IS heavy.

Regarding stiff, well it totally depends what kind of stabilizer you use. I have used the .99 cent a yard super el cheapo stuff JoAnn's sells and it was OK. I prefer the Pellon lightweight fusible for knits. I'm sure starch, if you use enough of it or a not so diluted mix if you mix your own would also work quite well. But no matter what you will have a very heavy quilt.

I agree that a T-Shirt is heavy to begain with, I did use a very light weight pellon and just found it to be stiff and extra heavy. (used spray starch) I didn't have to starch to heavy and it worked just find. Saying this I am an experenced sewer. So that may make a difference also.

sak658 02-03-2013 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished a quilt for my oldest DG...I used Pellon fusible featherweight to iron on the backs...this was my first t-shirt quilt..I have the other DG. 's started got all the blocks shadowed and ready start filling in around them...Missouri Quilt Co..has the fusible for $2.50 a yd...hope this helps..[ATTACH=CONFIG]392842[/ATTACH]

curlytop 07-26-2013 07:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the completed tee shirt quilt & the recipient, my nephew. It was a big hit for his graduation party and really was fun to design & make!

soccertxi 07-26-2013 07:36 AM

Curly, you did a great job! And the best part? that GRIN! well done...

dcamarote 07-26-2013 07:40 AM

I have made two of them, quite large. Use a lightweight stabilizer and cut out all the squares before you start. I actually found it more helpful to put the t shirt on the stabilizer and then cut into the size I wanted. It is easier to cut the t shirt this way. Otherwise, the edges curl up. Good luck.