Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tee shirt quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tee-shirt-quilt-top-t276446.html)

Homespun 03-07-2016 05:07 AM

Great job!

Manalto 03-07-2016 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7486388)
See what is pleasing to look at and go with it.

LOL - NONE of it is pleasing to me! Although I understand that they have their purpose (this will promote a charity event) quilts with words are just not my cup of tea. It's been a struggle to summon enthusiasm for it, so I'm just giving it my best shot.

Thanks for all your kind words!

If I may ask another question - how would you suggest I quilt this? I got a big spool of teal blue that's a shade darker than the border (border has been done - matching the top and bottom rows, as y'all suggested). I'd rather not quilt over the tee shirt images, at least not in a strongly contrasting color. Should I switch to a color that's similar the the tee-shirt background fabric and outline the house logos? Will that quilting be close enough to make it stable? Do I leave the teal in the bobbin, or is that asking for trouble? It may show on the front.

Fabric Galore 03-07-2016 11:07 AM

I made 2 T shirt quilts for my grandsons. I would use invisible thread on the actual T shirts and just a minimum amount to hold the batting in place. Some batting allow for 8" between quilt lines.

Manalto 03-07-2016 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Manalto (Post 7486208)
I'm planning to follow the members' advice here and omit batting, since it's heavy enough already.

There's no batting.

sewbizgirl 03-07-2016 01:41 PM

Very nice quilt!

Manalto 03-07-2016 02:54 PM

With no batting, how close should quilting be? Just enough to prevent the two layers from acting floppy?

jmoore 03-08-2016 03:15 AM

Manalto, I'm waiting in the wings for some suggestions from the QB members as to how to quilt your t-shirt project. I, myself, am ready to put a t-shirt quilt on a longarm and having the same dilemma as you. Mine, however, will have Warm & Natural batting.

What did you decide for the border? I liked Tartan and JeanneS suggestions.

maviskw 03-08-2016 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7486349)
Finish the blocks on the edges. I would make the border (in the same background fabric) the same width as your background strip between the 2001 block and the long rectangle block underneath it. Your teal border sounds perfect.

I would do as Jeanne said and put another border of background. Can be as narrow as you like, maybe less than two inches. But after that, a tiny stop border would really bring it out. A thin line of something very dark, even black. And then the last wider border of something else, maybe even the background fabric. The teal sounds good.

sharin'Sharon 03-08-2016 08:13 AM

I've seen T-shirt quilts that have been machine quilted with a large stipple all over the entire quilt (yes, all over the t-shirt) and it looked great to me. I would have questioned doing so beforehand, but was surprised how nice it looked when finished.

caspharm 03-08-2016 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7486214)
Nice job! I might just do a border as wide as the rows you have at the top and bottom.

I agree with Tartan on both the quilt and the border size.