Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Teflon "slider" sheets - even remotely worth the price? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/teflon-slider-sheets-even-remotely-worth-price-t198750.html)

BellaBoo 08-27-2012 05:36 PM

I have the Supreme Slider. In fact I have three of them. One was a gift, I won one on a blog give away and I just bought the new extra large size one. I notice a big difference in my hands, they feel more relaxed after quilting. If I don't use the slider my hands feel tired. I rinse it in water to remove lint and threads and it resticks like new. I don't see how a baking sheet would work the same. I have a teflon baking sheet and it is nothing like the Supreme Slider.

garysgal 08-28-2012 03:34 AM

I bought a sheet of template to try as a slider. Haven't tried it yet, but I did experiment and it does slide, so maybe?

weezie 08-28-2012 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by BeckyPotter (Post 5470411)
I bought an oven liner mat at Wal-Mart for 5.00. Cut the hole for the needle , taped under the machine.

I also have the oven liner and punched the hole in it for the needle; I used double backed tape to secure rubber drawer liner over the entire bottom to keep the teflon liner from sliding. At the moment, of course, I can't think of the name of the rubber liner, but I use it to back many things to keep them from slipping and sliding.

alwayslearning 08-28-2012 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5470452)
Yes they are worth the 20 dollars. makes life easy and you can use them over and over so I am not sure why people consider them expensive

Agree with Dolphyngyrl!

llweezie 08-28-2012 04:13 AM

I have quilted for 20 years and have never heard of a slider sheet ! Does it sit on top to make fabric slide easier? I do use those rubber door stoppers (2) to place under in the back of the machine to tilt the machine forward. It really helps with the shoulder position when I am sewing. You can make the machine tilt as little or much as you like and they seem to stay in place pretty good.

Chay 08-28-2012 04:22 AM

I'm going to try the MinWax idea, thanks for sharing that.

callen 08-28-2012 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by BeckyPotter (Post 5470411)
I bought an oven liner mat at Wal-Mart for 5.00. Cut the hole for the needle , taped under the machine.

Could you someone describe this oven liner that they purchased instead of the Supreme Slider. I have never seen or heard of such a thing. That does it look like & where besides WalMart can it be purchased. I live in Canada. Would appreciate any help that I can get.

QuiltE 08-28-2012 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5470506)
I got rid of the neck and shoulder fatigue problem by quilting standing up. I place my machine on my cutting table. It is even better now that I have a styrofoam table surround for this setup -- creates a nice flat area. However, I still think the biggest help is standing up. My shoulders stay low and relaxed that way.

You can also get the better shoulder ergonomics by getting a chair that lets you sit higher. I use an adjustable drafting chair ... one setting for regular piecing/sewing and a little higher when I am FMQ or SITD etc.

GABBYABBY 08-28-2012 04:42 AM

I use a silcone spray that makes the surface that I am working on very slick. It is not sticky and
I have not had any problems with whatever surface I spray it on. You don't have to wash it off, it
eventually goes away.

bobquilt3 08-28-2012 04:50 AM

I'm quilting small quilt now and wondering about how it could be easier. Wow, was that an eye-opener. I'm off to find an oven liner. LOL.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Treasureit (Post 5470275)
Here is one topic on this subject that might be helpful. I know there were others I have seen too...try searching for slider or teflon slider. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...n-t146420.html