Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tell Me About Hand Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tell-me-about-hand-quilting-t80405.html)

MommaDorian 12-03-2010 02:07 PM

I'm curious about what's involved. Tell me anything you want to. I'm intrigued by the theraputic qualities. :)

117becca 12-03-2010 02:23 PM

i love my leather thimbles - i use a coin thimble - it has a piece of metal at the finger tip - keeps the needle from going thru the thimble

i prefer to use warm & natural batting and cotton thread - fav thread is YLI glazed cotton. Don't like quilting thru poly batting or using a polyester thread. Just personal preference.

Even stitches are more important than teeny tiny stitches that aren't even. I think the tinier stitches will come as you quilt more.

I know it takes a while to complete a project - but that's ok w/ me

erstan947 12-03-2010 02:25 PM

I sandwich my 3 layers and baste or spray baste. I use an oval hoop and lap quilt. I do not have the space for a regular frame. My stitches are very uneven but once the quilt is finished and washed it looks good. What I have hand quilted has been tops my grandmother pieced in the 40's and 50's. I use hand quilting thread and Roxanne between Needles size 10 or 11. Hope this helps.

dakotamaid 12-03-2010 02:48 PM

http://www.google.com/#q=how+to+hand...e=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=dXP5TNfIM4Wdlgfr9PCsBw&sa=X&oi=video_r esult_group&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCUQqwQwA A&fp=125a18097c006d08

Cyn 12-03-2010 02:56 PM

I have my nails done and just use them instead of a thimble. I love hand quilting but have to take breaks or end up with serious back issues.

MadQuilter 12-03-2010 03:06 PM

There is a method of hand-quilting called the "Aunt Becky" where you use a metal cover (the Aunt Becky) in one hand and you move IT up to catch the needle. The needle hand really does not move much except to push the needle against the Aunt Becky. I have taken a class by Jean Brown on this technique and with a little practice, it works well. This is particularly good for people with arthritis or other joint problems. No rocking motion!

sewingladydi 12-03-2010 03:23 PM

I like to hand quilt. Not the technique if you are in a hurry, but I find it relaxing.

I use a small hoop so my work can go where ever I go. I just use a cheap plastic thimble with a cut out for my fingernail.

Quilting with wool batting is like heaven. Poly batting isn't bad. I have not hand quilted with warm&natural.

NOTE to Madqulter:I bought the Aunt Becky,but I'm not very proficient with it-any tips you can offer?

Holice 12-03-2010 03:24 PM

I suggest you get the book "How to Learn Hand Quilting in A Day" (and practice for the rest of your life). By Nancy Brenan-Daniels. Very good basic book on hand quilting.

MadQuilter 12-03-2010 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by sewingladydi
NOTE to Madqulter:I bought the Aunt Becky,but I'm not very proficient with it-any tips you can offer?

Thanks for asking. I had promised to make a photo tutorial but sort of lost track of time. I will ask DH to be the photographer this weekend and I will show it (unmanicured paws and all) step by step.

The key is DO NOT ROCK THE NEEDLE - that was the toughest hurdle for me.

sewcrafty 12-03-2010 03:40 PM

For someone just starting out I suggest making a sandwich and just practice. I would purchase some tiger tape, size 10 betweens and here is where it gets personal your thimble.

I actually use my fingernail until I get too many holes in it :shock: . Then my next 2 choices are the Thimblepads (little round sticky backed leather dots) or the nimble thimble (has an opening in the top for your fingernail and a little steel dot for pushing.

What I did to learn was lay the tiger tape out onto my sandwich and just practiced going up and down at the black marks. You really get the feeling of it and then start forming a rhythm. Then pencil out some slight curves and work yourself from there to corners, circles, etc.

It just takes practice. It sort of for me becomes a mindless activity, get for watching tv. LOL