Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tell Me There Is A Better Way (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tell-me-there-better-way-t207804.html)

Sandra-P 12-06-2012 02:43 PM

Tell Me There Is A Better Way

I need help! Not sure why I cant figure this out on my own. I am doing the Reaching Out Quilt by Edyta Sitar. It has nine patches in the border. The pattern says to cut 336 dark squares 1-1/4"x 1-1/4" for nine patches from applique scraps. Then it has you cut 420 light squares 1-1/4x 1-1/4" for nine patches from variety of light fabrics.

Please tell me I dont have to be trying to put little 1 -1/4 inch squares together to make a nine patch. There are 84 nine patches total. I have strips that are 2 1/2" wide. Can I sew three strips together and cut them 1 1/4" wide and make it come out. I have tried and it looks "off"

If someone can please help me I would be grateful. I am feeling like a kid in school with math anxiety! I think I should end up with nine patches that are 3" by 3". How do I do it? Please tell me I dont have to mess with little tiny squares.

Holice 12-06-2012 02:50 PM

a nine path made of 3 1 1/4" squares don't make a 3" finished block According to my calculator it makes a 2 1/4" suares = so fraid you will have to follow the directions to make it fit. However, if you can settle with a 9 patch that the squares are not the same then you can make it larger and cut it down to the correct unfinished size.

AlienQuilter 12-06-2012 02:57 PM

I have never seen this quilt, but, here's my opinion.

Cut all dark strips 1 1/4" wide and cut all light strips 1 1/4" wide.

Sew a dark/light/dark set, sew a light/dark/light set, I would press these towards the dark. Then cut your strips in 1 1/4" increments.

Do you want the corners and center block to be dark, then sew a dark/light/dark to a light/dark/light, the sew another dark/light/dark below the light/dark/light strip. You should then have a nine patch block.

kristakz 12-06-2012 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P (Post 5702753)
I need help! Not sure why I cant figure this out on my own. I am doing the Reaching Out Quilt by Edyta Sitar. It has nine patches in the border. The pattern says to cut 336 dark squares 1-1/4"x 1-1/4" for nine patches from applique scraps. Then it has you cut 420 light squares 1-1/4x 1-1/4" for nine patches from variety of light fabrics.

Please tell me I dont have to be trying to put little 1 -1/4 inch squares together to make a nine patch. There are 84 nine patches total. I have strips that are 2 1/2" wide. Can I sew three strips together and cut them 1 1/4" wide and make it come out. I have tried and it looks "off"

That's because your strips need to be the width of your blocks. So, cut your strips in half (to 1 1/4" strips), sew 3 together, cut at 1 1/4" and sew in triples again. Note you need some light-dark-light and some dark-light-dark for this all to work out. And yes, the person who said these finish at 2 1/4" is correct

Sandra-P 12-06-2012 04:32 PM

Thank You, Thank You, and Thank You!!!!

feline fanatic 12-07-2012 10:48 AM

keep in mind your pattern could also be wrong. If you want to end up with a FINISHED 3" 9P block (3 1/2" unfinished) you should cut your strips at 1 1/2". Then sew your strip sets (light dark light and dark light dark). Cut your strip sets into 1 1/2" units and then sew three together for your 9P. This will give you a finished 3" 9P.

Knitette 12-07-2012 11:12 AM

The pattern isn't wrong. You can see my version on my avatar.
Don't get too hung up on the nine-patches. The important thing is to make them so that they contrast some, but pick up some of the colours of the flowers. I also used the same background rather than a contrast as the pattern suggests as I felt it suited the colours I had chosen better.

flybreit 12-08-2012 05:51 AM

This is a beautiful quilt and will be worth those little 9 patches!

soccertxi 12-08-2012 06:51 AM

I just quilted a quilt my friend made from an Edyta Sitar pattern. Hers tend to be very scrappy looking. I think that is why she had you do them one at a time and not strippy. That being said: this is YOUR quilt. Strippy is good! (I think I would have looked at that number and gone cross-eyed! lol Bonnie Hunters quilts kind intimidate me that way too! Love them both as designers tho....) If it was me, I would try a nine patch out with some scraps to make sure I like the process and the look. Don't forget to post a picture when its finished!

KathyPhillips 12-08-2012 08:33 PM

there is no way i would cut all of those little patches and sew them together! i would cut 1 1/2" strips if i wanted to have 3" finished 9Ps. you can still make it scrappy.