Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tell me why I should/shouldn't buy a Singer 401A in a beaut cabinet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tell-me-why-i-should-shouldnt-buy-singer-401a-beaut-cabinet-t27756.html)

Gilla 10-27-2009 11:43 AM

I found a Singer 401A that belonged to someone's grandmother (maybe) in an antique full size cabinet somewhat reasonable. MY DH has hairies because I already have a Viking D1, Singer Quantum XL(needs repair) a Viking 6570 in good condition and a Serger. But I would sell my 6570, XL and possibly my Serger to pay for this machine. I can taste that 401 as it was my very first sewing machine years ago.

What do you think? I am a quilter and only use my D1 for quilting not embroidery as I should.

Prism99 10-27-2009 12:18 PM

With the qualifications you provided, I can't see anyreason not to buy it. :D

Years ago I collected old sewing machines in cabinets because I love those old machines. Eventually my dh pointed out that they were taking up a lot of room and had a collection of dust on them! I realized that I had enjoyed fixing up those old machines, but that I would never actually use them because I prefer my Bernina 1230 for daily use. I did sell that collection off to another collector. (I still have several old portables that I need to finish fixing up and sell them.)

As long as you are pretty sure you are going to use the machine, I say go ahead and get it! Try it out and make sure you like it that much before getting rid of your other machines. If it doesn't work out for you, you can always sell it.

Just try to purchase it for a reasonable price so you can resell it for a reasonable price. If it's worth the trouble to you to resell and you figure you're only out $20 or so to test out your heart's desire, I say go for it! The Singer 401A is definitely in demand as a collector's sewing machine, so it will retain value over time. My concern, though, is that sometimes these "antique" machines are overpriced for sale. Machines and cabinets have to be in top condition to get top price. Could you post the price and maybe a pic?

Gilla 10-27-2009 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
With the qualifications you provided, I can't see anyreason not to buy it. :D

Just try to purchase it for a reasonable price so you can resell it for a reasonable price. If it's worth the trouble to you to resell and you figure you're only out $20 or so to test out your heart's desire, I say go for it! The Singer 401A is definitely in demand as a collector's sewing machine, so it will retain value over time. My concern, though, is that sometimes these "antique" machines are overpriced for sale. Machines and cabinets have to be in top condition to get top price. Could you post the price and maybe a pic?

He asked $160.00, countered my $100 to $125. Now he has to think some more as he just found the assesssories.

Olivia's Grammy 10-27-2009 01:34 PM

I tend to collect old machines. They are great for piecing. I have two Featherweights, a 301, 500A, another old Singer in a beautiful old cabinet, a old Kenmore, Singer treadle, hand crank and one that was made in 1877 with a beautiful cabinet. A Singer 9410. Plus my four every day machines. Oh and a bunch of toy sewing machines. And I'm sure I forgot a few. I have given a few away as they do take up a lot of room.

Moonpi 10-27-2009 01:40 PM

Do you have space? Will you use it? How tolerant to change is the husband unit?

Prism99 10-27-2009 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gilla
He asked $160.00, countered my $100 to $125. Now he has to think some more as he just found the assesssories.

Even $160 is a good price for a 401A with accessories in a nice cabinet! If the machine is in good cosmetic condition and the cabinet is in good cosmetic condition -- especially if the cabinet is a fancier one instead of the standard plain Jane cabinet -- it's probably actually worth more. The problem with these old machines is in selling them; the seller has to know how to advertise to collectors in the area because no one wants to ship a cabinet with a machine.

Gilla 10-27-2009 02:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the little dear.

lfw045 10-27-2009 04:00 PM

Oh my!!!!!!

kapatt 10-27-2009 04:11 PM

It sounds like a great deal. I bought my 401A as a portable and paid $120 for it.

If it was me, I would probably go for it.

Prism99 10-27-2009 04:13 PM

That is a *really* nice machine and cabinet. Assuming you have a place for it and plan on using it, I would expect you would keep it for many decades. Those machines are real workhorses, and that cabinet is lovely! Do try to get the accessories; that makes the set complete.