Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Template materials? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/template-materials-t190946.html)

Just Jan 06-06-2012 02:45 AM

Template materials?

After reading the main article about different paper products quilters often use, I was reminded of one that was not listed... I sometimes use fine or medium grit sandpaper for templates. I prefer med grit because the paper is a bit sturdier but I know some use fine grit. It sort of sticks to the fabric and doesn't slide around like the vinyl ones and its recyclable. My sis goes to Dollar Tree and buys their plastic vegetable cutting sheets and uses that for templates. Anybody else out there use something other than the usual?

sandyl 06-06-2012 02:49 AM

Sandpaper is a great idea. Never thought of that.

bearisgray 06-06-2012 05:25 AM

What do you cut the sandpaper with when you make the templates? (especially some of the coarser grits)

I was cringing at the idea of using my 'good' scissors - but then remembered I have 'dull' rotary blades and 'everyday/utilty' scissors that would work just fine.

The down side to sandpaper - can't see through it.

romanojg 06-06-2012 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5268863)
What do you cut the sandpaper with when you make the templates? (especially some of the coarser grits)

I was cringing at the idea of using my 'good' scissors - but then remembered I have 'dull' rotary blades and 'everyday/utilty' scissors that would work just fine.

The down side to sandpaper - can't see through it.

The best way to sharpen scissors is to cut thru sandpaper. If you have an old pair of scissors try it. You'll be amazed at great it works.

Holice 06-06-2012 07:38 AM

If you do a lot of marking with cardboard or sandpaper it will eventually soften around the edges and not give a good mark. I use plastic then glue the sandpaper on the back. This assures an accurate mark.

Tartan 06-06-2012 08:19 AM

I have gotten lazy and rarely use templates anymore. When I did, X ray plastic was one of my favorites. I also like the thin plastic placemats from the $store for templates and other things.

Neesie 06-06-2012 08:41 AM

I recently picked up an inexpensive, plastic binder, from WalMart. Got the idea from someone here, on the board! It's the perfect weight and one folder will make many templates. :)

yngldy 06-06-2012 08:55 AM

Bisquick boxes, boxes from coke products, frozen pizza boxes work well for templates. I use them for circles and iron the fabric edges over them.

Jan in VA 06-06-2012 11:10 AM

I actually use templates like those mentioned by yngldy for my home machine quilting. I have used 5-pointed stars, hearts, a scallopy flower, etc. for years, just pinning the template on the surface and quilting around it. Or use freezer to draw and cut out the design, fuse it down, then quilt around it.

To cut shapes I have bought Ardco 'sandpaper-backed' metal templates in the past and loved them, but they are expensive for me now. The idea of using sandpaper is wonderful; appliquers use it for their design board in their lap often.

GypsyRse1 06-06-2012 07:58 PM

2 for $1 disposable cutting mats from the $1 store..... great template material and way cheap.