Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Template Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/template-question-t28523.html)

Lneal 11-14-2009 02:12 PM

Thanks! Thanks!! and more THANKS!!! Appreciate all the info.

amma 11-14-2009 02:48 PM

Did you cut your fabrics right side together? That was my first thought and I see PatriceJ addressed that...
Starch the fabric before you cut and make it really stiff!!! Sizing won't stiffen it as much as starch does.... :wink:

Lneal 11-14-2009 03:24 PM

I don't think I cut the fabrics right side, I folded the material (like you buy it) and cut out the templates. I will buy starch instead of sizing since that would help.

Lneal 11-14-2009 03:26 PM

I have never done a quilt so hard as this one. I wonder if I stepped out too far for me just yet! Lol

amma 11-14-2009 03:27 PM

I made the same mistake of laying out the fabric like it came off of the bolt, cutting my pieces and realizing then that I made a Big mistake LOL
that some were reversed :roll: We live and learn, huh? :mrgreen:

Lneal 11-14-2009 03:29 PM

So do I turn my fabric all the same way before I cut and then again the opposite way? Does anyone know if there is a tutorial on templates that would help me?

amma 11-14-2009 03:30 PM

Not one bit!!!! It is an easy mistake to make :wink:
I posted a pattern in the tute section and I put in big red letters a notation about this LOL That was the quilt that I made the same mistake on...
Some pieces don't have a big glaring difference when you look at them, so it is easy to not notice that the fabrics all have to be facing the same way when you cut them out....
Your quilt is going to be a beauty....and you are doing well!!! Remember the theory....if you stand back and look, just how noticeable is it really??? We are way more critical of our work than anyone else who looks at it :lol:

amma 11-14-2009 03:34 PM

Your pattern should say that you lay your fabric all face up, if it needs to be.... Generally if it is not squares that I am cutting, I place all of my fabric right side up...

Take 2 pieces of paper
Place a big X corner to corner on them
Cut out one template right side up on the X side
Cut out one with the template turned over on the X side
Match the pieces with the X sides up
Do they exactly match? If so, you can cut your fabric either side facing up. :wink:
If they don't, then your template is not symetrical and you need to cut with fabrics face up.... If you need reversed ones, the pattern will usually specify how many to cut face up and how many face down...

amma 11-14-2009 03:42 PM

Also, take one of your small rulers and turn your block stitched side up. Check your 1/4" seams...that may be part of why your intersections are not lining up too :wink:

butterflywing 11-14-2009 03:52 PM

then have your little red horse run over them until they're stomped into place. 8)

if that doesn't work, amma will help you. :lol:
she's very kind. :wink:

edited to say - that pattern is very nice. i like the way the blacks, reds and beiges are creating all kinds of sub-patterns. how large is each completed block?