Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Templates that are easy and cheap!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/templates-easy-cheap-t112835.html)

Kathi Kraftyzales 04-02-2011 05:19 AM

I don't have photos, yet, but for all the templates you need you can do as I do.
My DH cuts out all the shapes and sizes I need using a Dremel Tool. We just buy the sheets of plexiglass at Home Depot and cut away.

Freddie 04-02-2011 05:28 AM

Can't wait to see it. I have a dremel tool, but what kind of tip do you use and do you need something against it to keep the lines straight? I will bookmark, to see what you come up with.

BellaBoo 04-02-2011 06:35 AM

DH cut a few for me but it was too tedious to keep the edges perfectly straight and the exact measurement throughout using manual cutting. After two simple squares, he said go buy what you need. LOL

CoriAmD 04-02-2011 06:39 AM

WE do the same thing. When I see a pattern I think I might use over and over, he makes me the template. Makes life so much easier! He uses his plasma cutter. :wink:

SuzanneG 04-02-2011 07:32 AM

I use clear template material I buy at Joanns, trace my shapes and cut with scissors. (I'm a low-tech kinda girl! :D )

Freddie, I love your avatar! :D

SuzanneG 04-02-2011 07:33 AM

Grrr. . . another double post! Anyone else think we need another maintenance day to fix all the problems the first one created?? :D :D

LindaR 04-02-2011 07:43 AM

my hardware guys cuts mind...he said his wife is a quilter LOL

Kathi Kraftyzales 04-02-2011 01:36 PM

[quote=SuzanneG]I use clear template material I buy at Joanns, trace my shapes and cut with scissors. (I'm a low-tech kinda girl! :D )

Too expensive. I use a package of flexible cutting mats that come 2 to a package for $1 at Dollar Tree Store. But for stuff I want to use a lot, DH make a plexiglass template.

Freddie 04-02-2011 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by SuzanneG
I use clear template material I buy at Joanns, trace my shapes and cut with scissors. (I'm a low-tech kinda girl! :D )

Thanks, it is only 9x12 inches. It was a paper brownbag challenge, with only a couple of scraps. Had never done a scene before and had to draw my own pattern. I am really glad you like it, because I was out of my comfort zone.

SuzanneG 04-02-2011 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Freddie

Originally Posted by SuzanneG

Thanks, it is only 9x12 inches. It was a paper brownbag challenge, with only a couple of scraps. Had never done a scene before and had to draw my own pattern. I am really glad you like it, because I was out of my comfort zone.

Don't you love it when we challenge ourselves and it turns out so great? I've always wanted to do a landscape quilt. I just may take the plunge and give it a try. :-D